Job Number: TRU0000794
Primary Location: Truman College
Employee Type: Part Time
Union Code: 1600PTPROF
Truman’s Reading Center is designed to support students who are experiencing reading challenges in order to improve their ability to think critically about what they read and to advance their learning across disciplines. This position is funded by Title V grant.
The Reading Center at Truman is a study space designed to help students thrive academically. Tutors assist tutees in developing and improving their competency in course work; and help students integrate and apply effective study skills, note-taking, test-taking strategies, and time management and organizational skills to their specific courses. Tutors work with students in various programs across the colleges, providing individual and small group tutoring in reading and other subject areas. Tutors also work inside the classroom as embedded tutors; and provide on-line tutoring services to students enrolled in distance learning courses.
- Provides academic assistance to assigned tutees, either in a group or individually.
- Establishes liaison with the instructor and works under the instructor s direction to assist the student.
- Attends periodic training sessions given by staff members to increase competency in working with students.
- Maintains records on each student who is being tutored, including follow-up and periodic assessment.
- Schedules tutoring appointments.
- Provides evaluations and other reports as required by staff.
- Helps students develop positive attitudes toward learning and studying and helps students develop a high level of motivation in academic areas.
- Assists students in achieving a better understanding of specific subject material and in improving academic capabilities in designated areas.
- Helps students develop the study skills necessary for academic success.
- Establishes and maintains rapport with the assigned students.
- Assists in designing and implementing class cooperative projects.
- Completion of a Bachelor s Degree or higher in English, Reading, Literacy, or related field.
- Possess excellent communication skills, and the ability to work with a diverse student body.
- Must be self-directed and able to complete assignments in a timely manner.
How to apply
We are an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer.
Thank you for your interest in CCC!