George Fox University announces a one-year visiting position in the Department of History, Sociology, and Politics, to begin in August 2019.
George Fox University, a Christ-centered community, prepares students spiritually, academically, and professionally to think with clarity, act with integrity, and serve with passion. Professors teach all truth as God’s truth, integrating all fields of learning around the person and work of Jesus Christ, bringing the divine revelations through sense, reason, and intuition to the confirming test of Scripture. As a Christ-centered community, George Fox University is an institution that values diversity as an essential dimension of God’s design for human communities. In seeking to become a more inclusive community, we especially encourage applications from individuals who can help us achieve our diversity goals.
Teaching a range of courses in the Sociology program, particularly in the areas of criminology, race/ethnicity, and social theory.
Work collaboratively with department chair and program faculty on program planning and implementation
- Ph.D. in Sociology or related field strongly preferred; Masters degree in Sociology required.
- Prior teaching experience at the university-level preferred.
- A commitment to working with a diverse population of students is essential; demonstrated experience in this area is preferred.
- All applicants must express a personal commitment to Jesus Christ and express their Christian testimony in a local church. In addition, professors agree to live in agreement with the Community Lifestyle Statement and affirm the theological commitments expressed in the Statement of Faith.
- Candidates must have legal authority to permanently work in the U.S.
Salary and Rank
Appointment at the Assistant Professor level is anticipated. The position may be offered at either 0.75 or 1.0FTE, depending on department need and candidate availability. Salary and benefits are competitive with comparable institutions, and benefits are the same for either a 0.75 or 1.0FTE appointment. The program plans to run a national search for a tenure-track position in Sociology during Fall 2019. The candidate hired for the current position will be welcome to apply for that opening should s/he meet the position requirements.
Application Procedures apply only through this website
When completing the online application, please upload the following as Word or PDF documents in the section marked Cover Letter, Curriculum Vitae, and Essay Requirement:
- Letter of Interest
- Curriculum Vitae (CV)
- Faith and learning essay*
- Statement of teaching philosophy
- Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
Questions may be directed to: Dr. Ron Mock, Chair, Department of History, Sociology, and Politics
*INTEGRATION OF FAITH AND LEARNING ESSAY George Fox University is committed to the idea that one of the primary responsibilities of Christian higher education is to help students develop a uniquely Christian worldview. As teachers and mentors, it is important for George Fox University faculty members to integrate Christian faith and principles in all aspects of their lives. As an essential part of the application process, the University will carefully consider your response to the following: In a one-page essay (about 300 words) describe your personal Christian faith, as well as how your faith informs your teaching, scholarship, and service (including service and leadership in your church and/or in Christian ministries)
How to apply
For more information, or to apply now, you must go to the website below. Please DO NOT email your resume to us as we only accept applications through our website.