Full-time, Visiting Assistant/Associate Professor or Instructor position available September 1, 2018. This is a three-year appointment beginning in 2018-19. Typically, Monday-Friday 8:00 am-5:00 pm, occasional evening commitments or night classes possible.
The Department of Kinesiology at PLU is seeking an individual with a strong background in one or more areas related to Exercise Science, Fitness and Nutrition. The ideal candidate will be an excellent and committed teacher with an interest in working with undergraduate students across an array of department majors (including teacher preparation, health and fitness promotion, exercise science and pre-physical therapy). Courses will be assigned based on expertise, course availability, and need. There is a six course teaching responsibility for the academic year. Teaching will include some combination of the following: Exercise Testing & Prescription, Nutrition, Health and Fitness Promotion, Clinical Management of Special Populations, Exercise Physiology, Foundations of Kinesiology, Senior Capstone and Internship. Depending on expertise, additional teaching responsibilities could include courses such as Applied Biomechanics and Kinesiology, Fitness and Recreation Programming & Delivery, Sport Programming & Delivery and Applied Training & Conditioning. In addition, all department faculty are expected to contribute to the General Education Physical Activity curriculum or First Year Experience Program as needed. January term course instruction is expected.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities:
- Teach a full six course (24 credit) load annually.
- Engage in scholarly activity.
- Contribute to academic advising.
- Provide service to the department as needed.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Strong disciplinary knowledge base in areas related to exercise science and health and fitness.
- Knowledge of effective teaching techniques and strategies.
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- Strong work ethic and organizational skills.
- Professional orientation and disposition.
- Willingness to collaborate and engage with other department and university faculty.
- A doctoral degree in Exercise Science/Health and Fitness or a closely related sub-discipline within the field of Kinesiology must be in hand by September 1, 2018 for appointment at the Visiting Assistant or Associate Professor level. ABD is required by September 1, 2018 for appointment at the Instructor level.
- A research agenda and/or interests that complement existing faculty expertise and are suitable to available facilities and equipment.
- Higher education teaching experience.
- Experience and/or familiarity with private liberal arts/comprehensive universities.
- One or more professional certifications related to exercise science or health and fitness, preferably through the American College of Sports Medicine.
- Active participation in ACSM or other appropriate professional organizations.
- Evidence of being self-motivated and self-directed.
- Work experience in fields related to exercise science or health and fitness.
Must be able to work in a two story facility without an elevator.
Pacific Lutheran University purposefully integrates the liberal arts, professional studies and civic engagement in the beautiful Pacific Northwest. With distinctive international programs and close student-faculty research opportunities, PLU helps its 3,100 students from all faiths and backgrounds discern their life’s vocation through coursework, mentorship and internships at world-class Puget Sound-area businesses and institutions.
Founded in 1890 by Norwegian pioneers, PLU continues the distinctive tradition of Lutheran higher education through its commitment to the advancement of knowledge, thoughtful inquiry and questioning, the preparation of citizens in service to the world and to its ongoing reform. Located in the Parkland neighborhood of Tacoma, Washington, PLU is set in a region that also offers vast opportunities for outdoor recreation, culture and sports.
Pacific Lutheran University welcomes applications from women, members of historically underrepresented minority groups, persons with disabilities, and others who would bring additional perspectives to our learning environment. PLU is an equal opportunity employer.
How to apply
Please submit your application including cover letter and curriculum vitae online at http://employment.plu.edu.
For questions or more information, please contact Karen McConnell at firstname.lastname@example.org.