San Angelo, TX
Angelo State University is seeking a dynamic and energetic mechanical engineering faculty member with a focus in mechanical design and manufacturing to join our team in the growing David L. Hirschfeld Department of Engineering. Candidates who pursue experimental work and hands-on experiences are invited to apply. The department is especially interested in candidates who have interests in the following three broad areas:
1. Mechanical design. Within this area, candidates with experience on following topics have particular interest a) design of mechanisms and systems, b) machine elements and dynamic systems, c) modelling, design, fabrication, and characterization of mechanical systems.
2. Applied controls and robotics. Within this area, candidates are especially sought with an application focus of a) system control and optimization, b) mechatronics, c) design and fabrication of robotic systems.
3. Design for manufacturing. Within this broad area, of particular interest are candidates who apply a) manufacturing processes, b) equipment and control for manufacturing, c) design-and-build projects.
Angelo State is a teaching-focused, Hispanic Serving Institution and member of the Texas Tech University System. The department hosts both a civil engineering and mechanical engineering program. The mechanical engineering started in fall 2019.
The mechanical engineering program will feature course offerings that build from a common core of engineering fundamentals courses shared with the existing civil engineering program. Currently, the engineering program has 209 majors and graduated its first class of students in December 2018. The successful candidate will play a major role under a Department of Education funded grant to develop a mechanical engineering curriculum which is culturally responsive to our diverse student population. We expect to seek ABET accreditation for the mechanical engineering program in 2021. The candidate must be able to work collaboratively to build a practice-oriented, integrated, broad-based mechanical engineering curriculum, and actively participate in assessment duties that lead to ABET accreditation
This is a full-time tenure-track, nine-month, Assistant Professor position.
Typical Duties/Job Duties
1. Participate in developing an integrated, practice oriented mechanical engineering curriculum.
2. Actively support development of a culturally responsive engineering curriculum.
3. Teach, develop, and continuously improve courses and labs to support the curriculum.
4. Develop, outfit, and serve as lab coordinator for new design and mechanisms laboratories.
5. Participate in assessment efforts to support curricular development and ABET accreditation.
6. Advise undergraduate students.
7. Develop a program of scholarly activities consistent with the candidate’s interests and university objectives.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
– Ability to create active, innovative student learning environments.
– Ability to effectively apply technology to improve student learning.
– Ability to perform formative and summative assessment of student learning and apply results of assessment to improve student learning.
– Ability to create environments conducive to the academic success of women, Hispanic, and other underrepresented student groups.
– Ability to apply and/or conduct engineering education research.
– Ability to develop an ongoing undergraduate research program.
– Earned doctorate in Mechanical Engineering or a closely related field.
– Effective communication, teamwork, and planning skills.
– Demonstrated teaching excellence commensurate with level of appointment.
– Record of or potential for scholarly work commensurate with level of appointment.
– Experience in course and curriculum development
– Research experience in engineering education and/or culturally relevant pedagogical practices
– Coursework or formal training in engineering education pedagogy
– Experience in preparing ABET accreditation materials
How to apply
Angelo State University is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to promoting and ensuring equal employment opportunity for all individuals without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, disability, or veteran status. In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), Angelo State University is committed to providing reasonable accommodations to ensure equal access to employment opportunities for qualified individuals with disabilities. We are committed to ensuring that a qualified individual with a disability has the same rights and privileges in employment as non-disabled employees. If an accommodation is requested for the job application process, please contact our office at (325) 942-2168 or email us at [email protected]