NOTE: This job listing has expired and may no longer be relevant!
Cape Girardeau, MO
Associate or Full Professor (Tenured)
Department of Biology
College of Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics
Provide dynamic collegial leadership to a department with a dedicated faculty and staff. Fulfill the role and responsibilities of a chairperson as defined in the Faculty Handbook, including officially representing the department’s interests on- and off-campus, evaluating faculty and staff, managing budgets, providing curricular leadership, and ensuring that the needs of students are met.
Chairperson Assignment: One-half of the workload will be devoted to teaching. Of particular interest is expertise in organismal-level zoology or botany; however, applicants with expertise in any area represented in the department will be considered. One-half of the workload will be devoted to administrative responsibilities including but not limited to:
- Administration of 16 full-time faculty members, 37 graduate students, and approximately 710 undergraduate students
- Oversight of undergraduate and graduate programs in biology
- Development and maintenance of productive relationships with external constituents
- Administration of facilities, personnel, and budget
- Demonstration of leadership in keeping with the University’s mission
- Advocating for the department in the academic environment
- Teaching, service, and scholarship activities
- Ph.D. in Biological Sciences or related field (Degree must be from a regionally accredited or internationally accredited, or government-certified university)
- Experience in leadership or administration of undergraduate and graduate programs
- Demonstrated effectiveness in teaching, scholarship, and service
- Evidence of involvement in professional organizations
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with students, staff, and community
- Demonstrated effective communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to maintain a high level of faculty morale and enthusiasm
- Demonstrated commitment to a diverse work environment, including working with multi-cultural populations and an understanding of, and sensitivity to, issues affecting women and minorities
Southeast Missouri State University is interested in recruiting academic leaders with a commitment to excellent undergraduate and graduate education grounded in the teacher-scholar model. Successful candidates will demonstrate the ability to facilitate the development of innovative curricula and delivery strategies, including traditional, blended, and online formats, and initiatives promoting student success, retention, and degree completion.
Departmental Information: Information regarding the department can be found at http://www.semo.edu/biology.
Application Deadline: The position is available July 1, 2020. To ensure full consideration, applications must be received by November 8, 2019.
How to apply
Submit the following items online at http://agency.governmentjobs.com/semoedu/default.cfm?promotionaljobs=1
- Letter of application addressing all position qualifications
- Current curriculum vitae
- Statement of Teaching Philosophy
- Statement of Research Interests
- Statement of Commitment to Diversity
- Unofficial copies of transcripts (official transcripts required for employment)
- Names and contact information of three professional references with at least one who can address administrative ability