Department: Physical ActivityCourses (HHS)
Appointment Type: Academic Teaching/Research Faculty
Job Location: Corvallis
Martial Arts in the Physical Activities Course (PAC) program, a part of the School of Biological and Population Health Sciences, in the College of Public Health and Human Sciences at Oregon State University invites applications for one or more fixed term, non-tenure track full/part-time Instructor (PAC) positions to teach courses on a term-by-term basis for the 2022-2023 academic year.
Some of these appointments may be reviewed for renewal or transition to an instructional position on an annual basis at the discretion of the program Director.
The primary mission of the PAC Program is to provide all Oregon State University students with the knowledge and experience to make sound decisions regarding present and future physically active lifestyles. The intent of the PAC Program is to provide quality instruction in safe, adequately equipped facilities and to create a positive, enjoyable learning environment.
The PAC Instructor position will serve as an integral member of the PAC program team, where each instructor plays a specific role to the larger organization. Recognizing individual interests and abilities, the program provides courses covering a wide variety of physical activities. We make an effort to address contemporary trends and student interests. Courses offered through the PAC Program may include but are not limited to classes in the areas of: aquatics, artistic & social dance, fitness development, martial arts, mind/body, outdoor recreation, resistance training, sports, and games.
For additional information about the PAC program, please visit https://health.oregonstate.edu/pac.< br>
100% Teaching:Teach courses in Martial Arts. Plan and organize instruction in ways that maximize student learning. Employ appropriate teaching and learning strategies to communicate subject matter to students. Modify, where appropriate, instructional methods and strategies to meet diverse student needs. Employ available instructional technology, i.e. the internet, telecourses, interactive technology, when appropriate. Contribute to the selection and development of instructional materials in accordance with course objectives. Develop, update, and post course syllabi and grades in a timely manner. Respond to emergency situations for the purpose of resolving immediate safety concerns and/or directing to appropriate personnel for resolution. Establish meaningful student learning outcomes for courses/programs. Develop learning assessments that clearly measure student progress toward student learning outcomes. Maintain accurate records of student progress. Demonstrate sensitivity to student needs and circumstances. Demonstrate a thorough and accurate knowledge of their field or discipline. Connect their subject matter with related fields. Stay current in their subject matter through professional development, involvement in professional organizations, and attending professional meetings, conferences, certifications or workshops. Learn and use appropriate technologies to enhance teaching and the educational experience when appropriate. Maintain familiarity with college and program goals, mission, and long-range plans. Contribute to planning and development processes through appropriate mechanisms and channels. Perform professional responsibilities in accordance with pertinent goals, missions, and plans of the college, division, and programs. Be accessible to colleagues and to students for advisement and consultation. Prepare, distribute, and submit syllabi and approved course outlines for all assigned sections in accordance with program and divisional policies. Maintain confidentiality of student information. Substitute for other instructors within field or discipline in case of an absence. Participate in meetings and events required by the program administrators. Respond in a timely fashion to information requests from college, division, and program administrators.
Additional Required Qualifications
Preferred (Special) Qualifications
Preferred qualifications for all martial art candidates:
- Bachelors degree in Exercise Science or closely related discipline OR Masters degree in any field.
- A demonstrable commitment to promoting and enhancing diversity.
- 5 years of coaching or instructing discipline specific martial arts.
- Previous successful teaching experience in a higher education setting.
- Previous experience assessing student learning outcomes and curriculum development.
Preferred qualifications for the specific disciplines are as follows:
Judo: Preferred Qualifications:
- Kodokan Judo 2nd Degree Black Belt or higher with minimum 3+ years recent experience teaching adults of varying skill levels and current United States Judo Incorporated (USJI), United States Judo Federation (USJF), or United States Judo Association (USJA) registration.
- Black Belt rank AND permission from an official martial arts organization to teach discipline and three (3) years of recent experience teaching adults of varying skill levels.
Tae Kwon Do:Preferred Qualifications:
- Instructor with international Black Belt certification with Kukkiwon, WTF, or USA Taekwondo, and proof of Black Belt Certification and Referee Certification; plus three (3) years of recent experience teaching adults of varying skill levels or rank levels, and experience in a USA Taekwondo sanctioned local or national tournament.
Brazilian Jiu Jitsu: Preferred Qualifications:
- Brazilian Jiu Jitsu instructor with a black belt or higher, current registration with International Brazilian Jiu Jitsu Federation (IBJJF), plus two (2) years recent experience teaching adults of varying skill levels.
Working Conditions / Work Schedule
In the performance of the duties of the position, incumbents will be required to lead physical activity courses and demonstrate activity-specific movements for a minimum duration of 50-110 minutes per scheduled class.
Special Instructions to Applicants
When applying you will be required to attach the following electronic documents:
1) A CV; and
2) A cover letter indicating how your qualifications and experience have prepared you for this position.
You will also be required to submit the names of at least three professional references, their e-mail addresses and telephone numbers as part of the application process.
For additional information please contact: Katelyn Kirk, 541-737-6811 or [email protected]
Applications will be considered throughout the 2022/2023 academic year as opportunities become available
OSU is committed to the health of our local and global community. All employees and students are required to comply with the universitys COVID-19 Vaccination Program. Please visit https:// covid.oregonstate.edu/ for additional information about OSUs plans for safety and success, as well as options for compliance with the vaccination program.
OSU commits to inclusive excellence by advancing equity and diversity in all that we do. We are an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer, and particularly encourage applications from members of historically underrepresented racial/ethnic groups, women, individuals with disabilities, veterans, LGBTQ community members, and others who demonstrate the ability to help us achieve our vision of a diverse and inclusive community.
How to apply
To apply, please visit:
Apply for this Job