Starting Date: As soon as possible
Basic Function and Scope of Responsibilities:
The Enrollment Services Division at LIU represents an integrated and coordinated cross-functional service in the areas of financial aid, student accounts and registration. The Sr. Associate Director serves as a team leader within the Enrollment Services division and provides oversight to all areas and functions. The Sr. Associate Director also serves a caseload of students and will be a student’s point of contact for everything at the University-from financial aid, student accounting, and registration, getting involved on campus and career development. The Sr. Associate Director will foster a customer-focused, service-oriented environment. The Sr. Associate Director is knowledgeable about all student benefits and functions of Financial Aid, Registrar, Student Accounting, Billing and Cashiering. This position identifies and anticipates student enrollment issues, resolves or establishes a viable and timely plan for resolution and follows-up on plans.
The Sr. Associate Director will be able to consistently demonstrate the below core competencies as well as those set for all professional educators by the National Association of Student Financial Aid Administrators NASFAA and New York State Financial Aid Administrators Association NYSFAAA.
- Leadership: the leader will have the ability to articulate and demonstrate the vision of LIU Division of Enrollment Services. In addition, the leader will enhance others’ commitment to their work, motivate and engage employees through effective communication.
- Foster Teamwork: the leader will demonstrate the ability and desire to work cooperatively with others on a team; as a team leader, the ability to demonstrate interest, skill and success in getting groups to learn to work together. The leader will demonstrate cooperation with others to ensure overall objectives of LIU Enrollment Services Division.
- Customer Orientation: the leader will have the ability to demonstrate concern for satisfying one’s external and/or internal customers.
- Solution Focused: the leader will demonstrate a positive attitude and perspective while focusing division needs, tasks and goals.
- Initiative: identifying what needs to be done and doing it before being asked or before the situation requires it.
- Overall management of the daily operations of LIU Enrollment Service office, including serving on the departmental leadership team to ensure successful execution of academic, financial and career success and participate in campus wide events and workshops.
- Supervise and mentor a team of LIU Enrollment Services Counselors including establishing goals and fostering professional development opportunities.
- Serve as primary advisor and enrollment counselor for working caseload of students
- Provide exemplary customer service by participating in the regular coverage of the Enrollment Services phone queue, answering question of students and their families.
- Assist in the determination of the transfer credits for courses taken at postsecondary institutions by considering the educational quality of the learning experience. Coordinate with counterpart(s) on other campuses to ensure streamlined operations and a uniform LIU student experience.
- Other duties as assigned by the Director of Enrollment Services
Team leader area specializations may include execution of the following functions in one or more of the following areas: Financial Aid, Registrar and Student Accounts.
Team Leader Area Specializations: REGISTRAR
- Assists with campus services including but not limited to: course registration, degree and enrollment verification, transcript processing, records maintenance, residency certification.
- Assist with processing FERPA forms; National Student Clearinghouse, in school deferments, health insurance forms, DOE excess credit letters, FIA school/training enrollment letters, and Application Extender for old transcripts and registration cards.
- Work to resolves student issues prior to escalating to Director of Enrollment Services.
Team Leader Area Specializations: FINANCIAL AID
- Knowledge of federal and state financial regulations, and university financial policies and procedures.
- Assist students and parents with the electronic submission of the FAFSA or renewal FAFSA, applying for a Federal FSAID, completing the electronic loan entrance/exit interview.
- Assist with collection and processing of Verification Documents for all students.
- Collaborates with Enrollment Services leadership on individual student appeals concerning eligibility.
Team Leader Area Specializations: STUDENT ACCOUNTS
- Execute functions required for University billing, refunds, cashiering functions, payment plans, collection agreements, EOTs, award book vouchers and third-party contracts.
- Communicate billing and payment options to students in a clear and concise manner.
- Reconciliation and daily execution of the refund process.
- Assist in the management of the collections process for all delinquent accounts.
- Communicate with University Center regarding potential withdrawal calculations to students who receive financial aid.
Bachelor’s Degree Required; Master’s Degree Preferred.
Training, Skills, Knowledge, Experience:
- At least 2-4 years of progressively professional experience in higher education, enrollment services, student affairs or academic affairs; sound judgment and decision-making skills
- Proven track record of success managing co-curricular activities and/or academic support services
- Excellent written and spoken communication skills
- Familiarity with database management systems
- Flexible hours, including weekends and evenings, are required to execute the position’s role responsibly.
- Occasional travel to/from other LIU campuses for the facilitation of trainings, meetings and other university functions
Materials & Equipment:
Computer, fax machine, copier, phone
LIU is an equal opportunity employer. LIU is committed to extending equal opportunity in employment to all qualified candidates who can contribute to the diversity and excellence of our academic community. LIU encourages applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender and/or gender identity or expression, marital or parental status, national origin, ethnicity, citizenship status, veteran or military status, age, disability or any other basis protected by applicable local, state or federal laws. Hiring is contingent on eligibility to work in the United States.
About Long Island University:
Founded in 1926, LIU continues to redefine higher education, providing high quality academic instruction by world-class faculty. Recognized by Forbes for its emphasis on experiential learning and by the Brookings Institution for its “value added” to student outcomes, LIU offers over220 degree programs, with a network of over 280,000 alumni that includes industry leaders and entrepreneurs across the globe. Long Island University’s mission is to provide excellence and access in private higher education to those who seek to expand their knowledge and prepare themselves for meaningful, educated lives and for service to their communities and the world.