San Angelo, TX
The Department of Biology at Angelo State University in San Angelo, TX seeks applicants for the tenure track position of Assistant Professor of Biology with a specialization in Microbiology. Teaching, research, and service are the primary responsibilities. Candidates are required to possess teaching skills and extensive training in and/or experience with the use of microbiological techniques to engage in teaching and research with undergraduate and master’s level, graduate students. Candidates with a strong interest or experience in college level teaching and research supervision will be preferred. The successful applicant is also expected to attend departmental events and perform other departmental duties as assigned. The position is a nine-month appointment with the possibility of teaching summer, evening and/or weekend classes.
Typical Duties/Job Duties
The successful applicant will be expected to develop and teach undergraduate microbiology (sophomore level microbiology course targeting health professions students) and other departmental service courses as assigned. The successful applicant is expected to develop additional undergraduate and/or graduate level courses/ labs and develop an active research program engaging undergraduate and graduate (master’s level) students. The applicant will also be expected to participate in departmental, college, and university level service and events, advise biology and pre-health professions students, and serve on the Health Professions Advisory Committee. Teaching load is equivalent to 12 weighted-contact hours/week.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- The successful applicant should possess strong communication, interpersonal, and organizational skills and a desire to develop innovative learning experiences.
- Applicants should be dedicated to excellence in teaching and research with a strong commitment to high professional standards, both in and out of the classroom.
- Knowledge of microbiology sufficient to teach and assess academically rigorous undergraduate and graduate level courses and develop an undergraduate and master’s level research program consistent with this field of expertise.
- Exceptional teaching and research skills are a must as is the ability to collaborate with colleagues both within the department and between departments.
- Experience in or knowledge of health professions microbiology and biosafety are highly desirable
- . Involvement in community service and professional organizations is highly encouraged.
- Earned Ph.D. in Biology or related field from an accredited institution with specialized training in microbiological techniques.
- ABD applicants will be considered but the doctorate must be completed by the end of the first semester of employment.
- Potential for excellence in teaching, research, and mentoring students.
- Ability to procure external funding is strongly preferred.
- Experience in or knowledge of health professions is highly desirable.
Must be able to prepare, setup, and manipulate typical lab equipment and supplies.
How to apply
Angelo State University is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to promoting and ensuring equal employment opportunity for all individuals without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, disability, or veteran status. In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), Angelo State University is committed to providing reasonable accommodations to ensure equal access to employment opportunities for qualified individuals with disabilities. We are committed to ensuring that a qualified individual with a disability has the same rights and privileges in employment as non-disabled employees. If an accommodation is requested for the job application process, please contact our office at (325) 942-2168 or email us at [email protected].