Hofstra University is nationally ranked and recognized as Long Island’s largest private university located in Hempstead, N.Y. When you work at Hofstra, you join a team of talented professionals committed to preparing students for the challenges of tomorrow, in an environment that cultivates learning through the free and open exchange of ideas for the betterment of humankind. The work we do at Hofstra supports the education and well-being of our students, and the workforce of the future. While working towards this mission, employees can take advantage of many enriching experiences on campus. Whether it’s a lunchtime lecture, a Division I NCAA athletics game, a musical concert, a theatre performance, or a visit to one of our two accredited museums, there is always something exciting to do at Hofstra. Enjoy the ease of going to the fitness center, taking a swim, or grabbing a bite to eat without having to leave our beautiful campus! Hofstra University is dedicated to recruiting and retaining a highly qualified and diverse academic community of students, faculty, staff, and administrators respectful of the contributions and dignity of each of its members. We especially encourage women, people of color, members of the LGBTQ+ community, veterans, and people with disabilities to apply.
Position Number: 899235
School/Division: School of Law
Department: Law School, Law School Library
Reporting to the Associate Director, the Reference Librarian shares responsibilities with the Reference Team for in-person and remote reference services to the Hofstra Law community, including students, faculty, and members of the local legal community. Limited flexible work arrangements available upon supervisor’s approval.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Participating in faculty/librarian liaison program.
- Regular in-person reference desk shifts.
- Legal research instruction through formal classroom presentations, regularly scheduled and by faculty invitation.
- Legal research instruction through informal workshops and non-traditional events.
- Systematically engaging student groups and building liaison relationships.
- Working with student groups, including faculty research assistants, journal students, international students, and law school graduate students, to assist with their library and legal research needs.
- Identifying, evaluating, and recommending purchase of new print and digital resources.
- Preparing and maintaining online library guides and videos to teach research skills (including in specific subjects) and orient students, faculty, and the public to the library.
- Developing social media posts and marketing designs.
- Collaborating with Law School outreach and marketing departments.
- Keeping statistics and suggesting outreach strategies.
- Creating and updating library documentation on policies, procedures, and best practices.
- Actively participating in professional development at the national, regional, University, Law School, and Library levels.
- A Master’s degree, or equivalent in Library and Information Science or Knowledge Management from an ALA accredited school or foreign equivalent (completed by the start date) preferred.
- JD from accredited institutions or the equivalent combination of education and experience (completed by the start date).
- Experience with use of legal and non-legal research tools.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively, both independently and collaboratively.
- Strong service orientation and organizational skills.
- High level understanding of digital information systems and software.
- Technological competency and a willingness to learn new technology as needed.
- PhD, or equivalent in Library and Information Science or Knowledge Management from an ALA accredited school or foreign equivalent (completed by the start date) preferred.
- Experience with teaching or instruction.
- Knowledge of marketing and digital content creation.
- Experience providing reference service in an academic law library.
How to apply
For consideration, please submit a cover letter, resume and three references.
Application deadline: Applications will be accepted until the position is filled and review of applications will begin on May 31, 2023.
Hofstra University is an equal opportunity employer, committed to fostering diversity in its faculty, administrative staff and student body, and encourages applications from the entire spectrum of a diverse community.
If you apply for this position or indicate an interest advise the HR person you saw this advertisements on jobs.world.edu