Position Category: Faculty – Tenure Track (FT)
Under the direction of the Dean of the College of CHSS and the Communication Department Chair, teaches a full load of courses (4/4) in the Department of Communication’s Public Relations emphasis. Prepares instructional materials (course outlines, syllabi, exams, etc.) as necessary. Provides service to the department, college and university in addition to conducting communication research relative to the advancement of knowledge in the discipline. Pursues and develops strong ties with academic associations and professional PR/Media organizations and businesses in the state, region and nation.
An earned Masters degree in Communication from an accredited institution required and 10 + years of full-time public relations experience OR Ph.D. in Communication(s), Public Relations, and/or Media Studies from an accredited institution.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of and demonstrated competence of professional public relations practices and applications.
- Knowledge of teaching through implementation of appropriate pedagogy, clear presentation and preparation.
- Knowledge of classroom instruction, curriculum development, and program assessment.
- Knowledge of developing and coordinating undergraduate student programs and activities.
- Knowledge of how to conduct, present, and publish academic research.
- Skills in interpersonal communication.
- Skills in problem solving and decision-making.
- Ability to provide service to the department, college, and university through shared faculty governance, including serving on departmental, college, and university-wide committees.
- Ability to communicate verbally and in writing.
- Ability to present scholarly research at international, national, and regional conferences.
- Ability to publish scholarly research in communication and media journals.
- Ability to use online learning tools and mechanisms.
- Ability to develop, coordinate, manage and foster teamwork among diverse education and training programs.
- Ability to function effectively on a variety of committees and assignments that serve the needs of the University.
- Ability to interact personally with students and other faculty members in a congenial and productive manner.
- Ability to teach across spectrum including Introduction to Public Relations, PR writing, PR Campaigns, Portfolio Development, Social Media, Crisis Communication, Media Relations, PR Theory.
Ph.D. in Communication(s), Public Relations, or Media Studies from an accredited institution.
Evidence of previous teaching experience related to public relations, theory, and research methods courses.
Evidence of research production via presentations at international (e.g., ICA), national (e.g., NCA, AEJMC), and/or regional (Western States, Central States, etc.) conferences as well as through publications in communication and media journals.
Teaching and research strengths should complement current departmental curriculum.
Work is normally performed in a typical classroom/office work environment. Requires regular sitting and standing. Must have the mental and physical capabilities to perform the essential functions of the position with or without reasonable accommodations. Must be able to communicate effectively. Requires large classroom, small group and interpersonal interactions with students, faculty, and members of the campus. Must be able to perform minimal lifting, bending, standing and walking.
UVU offers an excellent benefits package which includes a generous leave policy, 12 paid holidays, affordable medical and dental insurance options, life and AD&D insurance, tuition waiver (undergraduate resident) for employee and dependents and substantial employer contribution to a retirement plan.
Pay Range: DOQ
Advertisement Number: FAC10817
How to apply
Special Instructions to Applicant: Under References Letter please list a minimum of three contacts. References may be contacted at some point during the screening and selection process.Please load a research sample under Other Document #1.
To apply, visit: https://www.uvu.jobs/postings/2856
Utah Valley University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity/ Equal Access Employer and committed to fostering a diverse workforce. As an inclusive community, we actively seek diversity among our applicants for this position. Candidates who can contribute to that goal are particularly encouraged to apply.