The Department of Academic Enrichment at the University of Central Missouri invites applications for a tenure-track faculty position in developmental writing at the rank of Assistant Professor beginning August 2018. The applicant must demonstrate expertise in andragogy, content knowledge, instructional technology and teaching students with diverse learning needs. The successful candidate is expected to teach developmental writing courses including both pre- and co-requisites; contribute to curriculum development, provide writing tutorials; establish a record of scholarship and refereed publication; and contribute to departmental, college, and university service.
The Department of Academic Enrichment offers targeted academic coursework and individualized student supports to help our students reach their personal, academic, and career goals. From introductory courses in college writing and mathematics to graduate writing and LSAT preparation, AE provides courses that assist and enrich the learning experience as well as count as elective credits toward graduation. Services include free tutoring, writing support, supplemental instruction, and mathematics assistance.
UCM CORE ATTRIBUTES – Our core behaviors all employees are expected to model. During the annual review process, all employees will be rated on how well they model these behaviors.
- Engaging: Immersive learning experience through purposeful involvement of employees and students.
- Cumulative: Aggregating multiple points of learning to broaden and deepen education.
- Passionate: Encouraging employees and students to find his or her sense of purpose.
- Confident: Embracing change and the new opportunities and challenges of tomorrow.
- Enterprising: Creating new ways for all students and employees to engage in their education and jobs.
- Caring: Acting on the needs and welfare of our people and the community.
A doctoral degree in Developmental Education, Rhetoric & Composition, English, Curriculum & Instruction, or a closely related field, with a specialization or emphasis in English/Language Arts/Composition, is required by the start of employment (candidates with ABD status will be considered).
- Three years teaching experience in writing/composition instruction at the K-12 or post-secondary level.
- Experience in curriculum development.
- Experience working with students from a diverse range of backgrounds, abilities, and ages.
- Five years teaching experience in writing/composition instruction at the K-12 or post-secondary level.
- Experience in literacy instruction or programs.
- Experience teaching in a developmental education program.
Note: A background check is required for the selected candidate of this position and any job offer is contingent on the results of this check.
How to apply
Candidates must complete an on-line faculty profile found at https://jobs.ucmo.edu and apply to position 998514.
Candidates should submit (1) a cover letter that outlines the applicant’s interest, qualifications, and experience for the position; (2) a curriculum vitae; (3) unofficial transcripts for all awarded degrees; (4) teaching philosophy and (5) include on faculty profile the names, phone numbers, and e-mail addresses of a minimum of three professional references.
If contacted for an interview, three (3) formal letters of reference and official transcripts for all awarded degrees will be required.
Review of applications will begin on February 1, 2018 and continues until the position is filled. The desired starting date for this appointment is August 2018. This is a 9-month appointment.
Direct inquiries regarding this position to: Dr. Chris Stockdale at firstname.lastname@example.org, Department Chair.
For information about the on-line application process contact Human Resources at email@example.com or (660)543-4255.
UCM requires that all faculty applicants complete the on-line faculty profile. All documents requested must be attached to the profile at the time of application. Only completed faculty profiles with attached documents will be accepted for this position.
The University of Central Missouri is an AA/ EEO/ ADA employer. Women and minorities are encouraged to apply. Veteran status and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply.