NOTE: This job listing has expired and may no longer be relevant!
The Department of Art and Design at Southern Utah University, an accredited institutional member of the National Association of Schools of Art and Design seeks applicants for an Assistant Professor of Interactive Design (UX/UI) who contribute to the vitality of this growing program. This position is full-time, 9-month, tenure track. The desired start date is August 16, 2018. Salary is commensurate with qualifications & experience; excellent benefits. This is a new faculty line and contingent upon funding approval.
Southern Utah University is a comprehensive, regional master degree-granting university located in Cedar City, Utah. It is an accredited, state-supported institution with an enrollment of 10,000+ students and home to the newly opened Southern Utah Museum of Art. Surrounded by national parks, monuments, forests and wilderness areas that draw millions of visitors annually from around the world and home to the Utah Shakespeare Festival, SUU is only 40 minutes from great snow skiing and year-round golfing. It is located 2 ½ hours from Las Vegas and 3 ½ hours from Salt Lake City.
General Duties & Responsibilities1. Teach 5-6 beginning through advanced studio courses per year in user experience design, user interface design, interactive design, 2D design and new media.
2. Demonstrate and maintain professional design activity and research as it relates to professional development as an educator and designer. This will be key in the responsibility to mentor students.
3. Engage students through experiential learning by participating in, planning, and organizing trips, studio tours, and design related professional lectures and activities.
4. Participate in the advancement of the graphic design area through the development of unique and relevant curriculum, committee work, collegiality, and recruitment.
5. Participate in department, University, and community service through committee service, volunteering, and collegiality.
Required QualificationsEducation, Training, and Skills:
1. MFA in graphic design, interactive media, visual communications or a closely related field.
2. Professional level UI/UX design experience and college-level teaching experience are preferred.
3. Demonstrated excellence and experience in most or all of the following as they relate to graphic design:
Design processes and functional typography. Design writing & ideation, design thinking, and design research. Criticism of typography, branding, art direction, and process development.
Design responsibility topics such as sustainability processes & best practices for designers
4. Knowledge of appropriate Mac and Adobe software.
5. Experience and professional connections in the design profession.
6. Energetic individual who will assist in shaping the mission, direction, and the continued growth of the SUU graphic design program.
1. Experience teaching at a college level and developing university-level curriculum.
2. Some professional experience working in an interactive design related field.
3. Experience in team driven objectives and work well in collaborative situations, etc.
In accordance with Utah State Code 53A-3-410, appointment to this position is contingent upon the successful passing of a background check.
- Preferred applicant will have 2 – 5 years of teaching experience with various levels of students.
- Excellent portfolio and proficient in Adobe design software.
- Proficiency in software appropriate to the field.
Full Time/Part Time: Full TimeHours worked/day: 8
Tenure/Non-Tenure Track: Tenure-Track
Salary or Salary Range: Commensurate with qualifications and experience, excellent benefits.
Posting Number: F1600146
Close Date: 06/17/2018
Open Until Filled: No
Special Instructions to Applicant
If you have questions or problems with the application process, please contact Human Resources at email@example.com or 435-586-7754.
How to apply
EEO StatementSouthern Utah University is committed to maintaining a community which recognizes and values the worth and dignity of every person; fosters tolerance, understanding, and mutual respect among its members; and encourages individual commitment to personal responsibilities in equal measure with personal rights. In pursuit of its goal of academic excellence, the University seeks to develop and nurture diversity. The University believes that diversity among its many members strengthens the institution, stimulates creativity, promotes the exchange of ideas, and enriches campus life.
Southern Utah University does not discriminate against any member of the University community on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability status, veteran status, pregnancy, pregnancy-related condition, genetic information, or other bases protected by applicable law in employment, treatment, admission, access to educational programs and activities, or other University benefits or services.