Farmingdale State College Department of Professional Communications invites applications for two tenure-track positions at the rank of Assistant Professor, starting September 2018. We are seeking highly qualified candidates with good communication skills who have demonstrated excellence in teaching. A Ph.D. in Communication must be completed by the time of the appointment, with a subspecialty in Strategic Communication, Professional/Technical Communication, or Organizational Communication. Candidates are sought with a minimum of one year of teaching experience at the undergraduate level, whether full-time, part-time or as a sole instructor teaching assistant. Candidates are expected to have an agenda of scholarship that complements his or her area of academic specialization and has the potential for peer-reviewed publications and presentations. Responsibilities of the position include teaching undergraduate courses in the program, contributing to curriculum development, as well as student advisement and service on committees and taskforces at the departmental, school, and college-wide level. All faculty members at the college are expected to demonstrate achievement in teaching, scholarship, and service, all of which are necessary for continuing appointment (tenure) and promotion. The normal teaching load is 12 credit-hours per semester.
All faculty members at Farmingdale State College have three workload components: teaching, research and scholarly activity, and service. The successful candidate will demonstrate an interest and high level of competence in teaching. Candidates should have a research agenda that complements their area of academic specialty resulting in peer-reviewed publications and presentation, both of which are necessary for promotion and tenure at Farmingdale State College. The service component of the workload includes student advisement as well as active participation on departmental, school and college-wide committees. The faculty member may be expected to teach in multiple formats including hybrid, online and traditional face-to-face classes.
· Ph.D. in Communication, with a subspecialty in Strategic Communication, Professional/Technical Communication, or Organizational Communication.
· Minimum of one year of college teaching experience in the field of communication.
· An agenda of scholarship with potential for peer-reviewed publications and presentations relevant to the field of communication.
· Minimum of one year of professional experience in the field of communications.
· Experience with student advisement.
· This is a full-time, 10 month faculty position.
· For the first 10 working days, beginning Thursday, November 2, 2017 and ending Wednesday, November 15, 2017, applications will be limited to UUP Farmingdale.
· CLOSING DATE FOR RECEIPT OF APPLICATIONS: December 2, 2017
· POSITION AVAILABLE: September 1, 2018
· Salary: $65,000, may increase commensurate with experience
· The State University of New York offers excellent fringe benefits including health insurance options and retirement plans
VISA SPONSORSHIP IS NOT AVAILABLE FOR THIS POSITION
The Consumer Information web page can be viewed at the following link – http://www.farmingdale.edu/consumer-information
This page describes various services, information and statistics on many different aspects of the College’s operations.
Pursuant to Executive Order 161, no State entity, as defined by the Executive Order, is permitted to ask, or mandate, in any form, that an applicant for employment provide his or her current compensation, or any prior compensation history, until such time as the applicant is extended a conditional offer of employment with compensation. If such information has been requested from you before such time, please contact the Governor’s Office of Employee Relations at (518) 474-6988 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
How to apply
To apply, submit a letter of application (that includes a statement of teaching philosophy and methodology), c.v., and names and contact information for three references. Candidates selected for interviews may be asked to provide copies of teaching evaluations and graduate transcripts (showing highest degree awarded/or currently in process). Only applications made through Farmingdale’s electronic application system will be accepted. Candidates invited for interviews will be asked to make a presentation on their research as well as a separate teaching demonstration.