Requisition Number: FE01457
Department Name: 7H650:PEDIATRICS
Work Location: Lexington, KY
Type of Position: Faculty
Tenure Track Status
M.D. or M.D./Ph.D., D.O., or equivalent with a sustained record of scholarly activity.
Required Related Experience:
National recognition as demonstrated through involvement in academic/professional societies at a national level. Demonstrated increasing levels of leadership or administrative positions in medical school or academic medical center setting. Proven record of recruitment and retention of talent and mentorship.
The successful candidate will demonstrate broad progressive administrative leadership experience in an integrated academic medical center environment; and possess national recognition for achievement in research, educational and clinical pursuits that would warrant appointment as a full professor. Candidates should also have a proven track record of collaboration and program building.
- Board certification in Pediatrics.
- Eligible for medical licensure in Kentucky.
The College of Medicine seeks a visionary Chair with demonstrated leadership abilities, a strong record in academic medicine, ideally with an NIH-funded research program (current or previous record of funding), with administrative experience as a division chief or program/center director who could provide strong leadership skills as a listener, decision-maker, humanist and effective advocate for the discipline in the department of Pediatrics and its faculty. The successful candidate will also serve as Physician-In-Chief for the Kentucky Children’s Hospital at UK HealthCare.
We seek a Chair who understands the future of child health in Kentucky and beyond. The successful candidate should be recognized for the exceptional accomplishments as a clinician and academician and will be required to continue to practice while serving as chair. Furthermore, the candidate should have skills in collaboration and the ability to learn and share, and should have people-skills that promote, foster and facilitate the trust of colleagues, the broader university and those who might make philanthropic gifts to child health or the university. The chair should have impeccable integrity and be an effective and able communicator.
For more information regarding the Pediatrics Department and the Chair Search, and to review the Leadership Profile for this position, please visit the search website here.
Skills / Knowledge / Abilities
The applicant should have the following qualities:
- Proven ability to provide visionary leadership in a complex environment.
- Broad and thoughtfully considered approach to leading an academic Department of Pediatrics, inclusive of all disciplines within the department.
- Demonstrative leadership and effectiveness in building research initiatives alongside clinical programs. Strong scholarly credentials with a proven ability to recruit research faculty, partner with external organizations and secure additional research funding.
- Proven track record as an outstanding clinician and administrative leader demonstrated by inclusive leadership style, collaboration, integrity judgment and strong interpersonal skills.
- Ability to articulate a clear vision for growth, expansion, and evolution of the Department of Pediatrics to a top tier medical education institution.
- Demonstrated leadership style that enjoys interacting with people and can easily connect with faculty and staff in the department, centers of research, across disciplines and among external entities in the community.
- Demonstrates the ability to recruit and retain outstanding faculty and physicians; have worked effectively with program leadership; ability to effectively delegate.
- Shown evidence of success in grant writing and funding procurement.
- A philosophy of collaboration and teamwork in interactions within and across departments; have shown the ability to successfully support multidisciplinary efforts in a complex environment.
- Shown skills to be a collaborative leader with medical school, health sciences, and university colleagues to advance the UKCOM and broader UK missions.
- Demonstrated ability to be engaging and persuasive with strong teamwork skills; politically astute, diplomatic, and able to manage by influence.
Does this position have supervisory responsibilities?: Yes
How to apply
Applicants must submit a Curriculum Vita and Cover Letter. Applications will be reviewed immediately and will continue until the position is filled.
Open Until Filled
University Community of Inclusion
The University of Kentucky is committed to a diverse and inclusive workforce by ensuring all our students, faculty, and staff work in an environment of openness and acceptance. We strive to foster a community where people of all backgrounds, identities, and perspectives can feel secure and welcome. We also value the well-being of each of our employees and are dedicated to creating a healthy place to work, learn and live. In the interest of maintaining a safe and healthy environment for our students, employees, patients and visitors the University of Kentucky is a Tobacco & Drug Free campus.
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we strongly encourage veterans, individuals with disabilities, women, and all minorities to consider our employment opportunities.
Any candidate offered a position may be required to pass pre-employment screenings as mandated by University of Kentucky Human Resources. These screenings may include a national background check and/or drug screen.