Job Close Date:
The University of North Georgia (UNG) is conducting a national search for an accomplished, creative leader to serve as the next Dean of the College of Education. The Dean will partner with College and University leadership to formulate and implement strategies that promote academic excellence and scholarly activity, respond to community priorities, and prepare students to be successful civic and professional leaders.
As the college’s chief academic officer, the Dean will provide leadership in the planning and implementation of the College’s academic programs, defining the College’s strategic priorities and building strong relationships with private- and public-sector partners to secure resources to support those priorities.
Reporting to the Provost and Senior Vice President for Academic Affairs, the Dean of the College of Education serves as a member of the Provost’s Council. The Dean is responsible for all matters related to the College’s internal management, including recruiting and retaining talented faculty; establishing community, regional and international partnerships to support faculty and student needs; and overseeing operations and budgeting.
Located in the fastest-growing region of the state, the University of North Georgia is a multi-campus university with an enrollment of more than 19,000 students, making it one of the largest institutions in the University System of Georgia. UNG is focused on a mission of educational excellence, leadership development and community engagement opportunities that develop students into leaders for a diverse and global society. Through a variety of educational pathways that provide access and range from certificates and associate degrees to three professional doctoral programs, UNG is responsive to regional education and economic development needs. Federally designated as a senior military college, one of the university’s signature leadership programs is its 800-member Corps of Cadets at UNG’s Dahlonega Campus.
UNG’s College of Education is accredited through the Commission on Accreditation of Athletic Training, Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation and Georgia Professional Standards Commission. The College houses two academic departments – Teacher Education and Kinesiology as well as two academic centers – the Appalachian Studies Center and the Center for Language Education. UNG’s education programs are among the most immersive programs in the nation. Through an extensive professional development schools model, teacher certification candidates spend more time in the classroom than at typical universities, and through strong internship opportunities, kinesiology students are successfully employed after college.
For fullest consideration, applicant materials should be received by August 30, 2018.
Candidate confidentiality will be respected and references will not be contacted without prior knowledge and approval of candidates. All interested candidates will apply at http://ung.hiretouch.com/
Job Duties & Responsibilities:
Duties and Responsibilities include:
- Effectiveness in motivating, directing & guiding others to achieve designated goals;
- Ability to anticipate future institutional needs & execute appropriate planning;
- Effectiveness in managing & modeling a high standard of service within the college;
- Ability to select, supervise, evaluate & develop potential of faculty and staff;
- Recommends to Provost & Senior VPAA faculty appointments within the college;
- Recommends to Provost & Senior VPAA candidates from college for promotion and tenure;
- Creates and sustains an environment supportive of research and scholarship;
- Provides oversight of the college’s instructional program including leadership in curriculum development;
- Leads the college’s fundraising and grant-seeking efforts;
- Collaborates across the university and with the external community to advance the mission of the university and college;
- Exercises management responsibility for college budget and departmental budgets within college;
- Assumes responsibility for the supervision of the college’s support staff and personnel.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
Certifications/Licenses & Minimum Requirements:
Required Job Specifications:
- Earned doctorate (Ph.D. or Ed.D.) from an accredited institution in a field appropriate to disciplines within the college;
- Professional, scholarly, and educational accomplishments commensurate with an appointment as a tenured faculty member within the college;
- Administrative experience at the department head level or higher.
- Experience and accomplishments commensurate with appointment as a tenured Full Professor within the college;
- Extensive experience with professional development school models;
- Experience solving complex curricular, budgetary and human resource challenges;
- Experience overseeing accreditation;
- Experience supporting faculty development;
- Experience with the development and implementation of strategic plans;
- A track record of fundraising and developing external support.
How to apply
Apply online with:
Cover Letter, Resume/Curriculum Vitae, Unofficial Transcripts
Special Instructions to Applicants:
If you received any graduate degrees from an institution outside the United States, you must provide a foreign course-by-course credential evaluation by an independent evaluation service that is a member of the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services, Inc. (NACES). Find a full list of NACES members at http://www.naces.org/members.htm.
Please submit contact information for three professional references.
In addition to a background check, this position will also include a DMV check
All employment offers are contingent upon successful completion of a background investigation, as determined by the University of North Georgia in its sole discretion. The University of North Georgia, a unit of the University System of Georgia, is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, sex or national origin, age, disability, religion, genetics or veteran status. Georgia is an open records state. Also, UNG is a federal contractor and desires priority referrals of protected veterans.
We provide equal employment opportunities to minorities, females, protected veterans, and disabled individuals, as well as other protected groups.