Open Date: 12/23/2016
Review Date: 01/23/2017
Job Category: Faculty
Department: Southern Region
College/Unit: Cooperative Extension
Location: Extension Site
Posting Duration: Open Until Filled
Utah State University Extension invites applications for an Agriculture/Natural Resources/4-H Extension faculty position. Extension faculty develop, provide, evaluate, and coordinate research-based educational programs for youth and adults. Extension faculty also recruit, train and supervise volunteer leaders and serve as a liaison between local clientele, other resource agencies, and Utah State University administrators, faculty, and programs. Extension faculty have Carbon county, regional, and University responsibilities. An office will be provided at the county Extension building in Price, Utah. We welcome candidates with diverse interests related to agriculture, natural resources, range, livestock, etc. We also welcome candidates with diverse 4-H interests such as youth development, leadership, healthy living, citizenship and STEM (science, technology, engineering and math).
Rank will be commensurate with experience, qualifications and current rank. Appointment opportunities include Extension Assistant Professor/Associate Professor (tenure track), or Professional Practice Assistant Professor (non-tenure track). A Master’s degree is required for Extension Assistant/Associate ranks. A Bachelor’s degree and professional experience is required for the Professional Practice Assistant Professor.
- Provide leadership to Extension activities, including 4-H.
- Develop, implement and evaluate programs for adults and youth.
- Develop partnerships and employ innovative approaches to reach clientele and new audiences.
- Pursue internal and external funding to support Extension programming.
- Document impacts and produce scholarly publications based on Extension programming.
- Manage budgets, personnel, and volunteers.
- Serve diverse audiences and support the civil rights mandate of Utah State University Extension.
- Serve and collaborate with other Extension and University personnel, community and government agencies, and stakeholders.
Dept/College Highlights:Utah State University (http://www.usu.edu) is Utah’s Land-Grant Institution with an approximate enrollment of 28,000 students. Through the Extension system, the University extends research based information across the state. Extension faculty support elected officials and citizens in all 29 Utah counties. Utah State University is sensitive to the needs of dual-career couples.
County specific information is available at https://www.carbon.utah.gov/.
Minimum/Preferred Qualifications:Minimum Qualifications:
- Extension Assistant/Associate faculty ranks require an earned Master’s degree in an Agriculture and/or Natural Resources discipline, or related area. The Professional Practice Assistant Professor rank requires a Bachelor’s degree and professional experience in a related field.
- Ability to plan, organize and direct educational programs.
- Experience in teaching adult and/or youth audiences.
- Excellent oral and written English communication skills.
- Ability to act as a liaison between federal, state, university, and county clientele.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and as a team member.
- Must have a current driver’s license, auto insurance, OR access to reliable transportation.
- Experience with program development and/or delivery related to Agriculture and Natural Resources.
- Experience with program development and/or delivery related to 4-H or other youth development activities.
- Skills and experience with implementing applied research activities.
- Skills and experience with grant writing.
- Skills and experience with recruiting, supervising, and working with volunteers.
- Skills and experience with low income and under-served audiences.
- Skills and experience with social media.
- Skills and experience with related organizations/agencies and fostering positive relationships with community stakeholders.
- Ability to communicate effectively in Spanish.
- Prior experience with the Land Grand University System.
Opportunity Type: Full-Time w/benefits package
Percent of Time or Hours per Week: 100%
Advertised Salary: Commensurate with qualifications and experience, plus excellent benefits
Often Functional Requirements (25-75% time):
Use of fingers (e.g. typing),Both hands required or compensated by the use of acceptable prostheses,Extended sitting
Continuous Functional Requirements (75%+ time):
Routine visual requirements (e.g. reading with attention to details; seeing activities near and far),Routine hearing ability (e.g. whispers at close range; voices at 15 feet; converse by telephone)
Often Environmental Factors (25-75% time):
Continuous Environmental Factors (75%+ time):
Inside,Working closely with others
ADA Cognitive Requirements:
Apply principles of logical or scientific thinking to a wide range of intellectual and practical problems. Deal with non-verbal symbolism (formulas, scientific equations, graphs, musical notes, etc.) in its most difficult phases. Deal with a variety of abstract and concrete variables. Comprehend complex, hard-to-understand concepts.
ADA Math Requirements:
Perform ordinary arithmetic, algebraic, and geometric procedures in standard, practical applications.
ADA Communication Requirements – Speech:
Expression of a level comparable to 5, plus highest order verbal skills such as ability to lecture to large groups, ability to speak on complex issues without prepared notes.
ADA Comm Requirements – Comprehension:
Comprehensive and expression of a level comparable to 5, plus highest order of composition skills such as ability to do this as primary function of the job, to draft and edit publication-quality papers, to prepare highly complex documents such as wills and contracts. May involve a large volume of such composition.
ADA Travel Requirements:
Moderate travel required – ability to travel frequently (i.e., weekly-monthly) for activities such as home visits, collateral contacts, transport of clients to appointments, delivering mail, auditing records, inspecting facilities, or other activities requiring frequent travel under normal conditions.
How to apply
Required Documents (The names and contact information of 3 references will be collected during the application process):
Cover Letter, Resume/CV, Transcript