The Music Director, Accompanist, Arranger will organize and supervise the music needs for the musical theater program, collaborative productions with the music department, as well as accompanying dance classes and applied voice lessons (for musical theatre students). The director will also organize the accompanist staffing assignments for the College of Performing and Visual Arts.
General Duties & Responsibilities
In order of importance, consider the major activities or responsibilities of this position.
- Responsible for musical direction (cast and pit orchestra), accompaniment, and conducting musical theatre productions in the Department of Theatre Arts and Dance as well as production collaborations with the Department of Music.
- Accompanist in a variety of areas that includes: musical theater productions, dance classes, musical theatre classes, applied voice lessons, performances, auditions, etc.
- Organizing and overseeing staff and student accompanists in meeting the needs of theatre arts, dance, and music.
- Serving as a resource for the dance faculty in selecting music for choreography.
- Responsibilities will include some arranging and orchestration with a solid understanding of copyright laws.
- Exceptional proficiency as an audition/rehearsal pianist.
- Strong skills in sight reading.
- Arranging and orchestrating skills with knowledge of professional music notation software.
- Mastery in a variety of keyboard programming software appropriate for the profession.
- Proficient conducting skills.
- A thorough understanding of the production process with collaborative skills necessary for successful productions.
- The capacity to motivate a diverse group of people with a variety of levels of ability.
- Must be highly organized with excellent interpersonal communication skills.
- Bachelor’s degree in music or equivalent professional experience.
- Significant experience (3-5 years) as music director, pianist, and conductor for reputable professional theatre and/or dance companies.
- Experience as vocal coach for musical theatre
- Experience as a dance accompanist in a variety of levels.
- Experience in arranging and orchestrating.
Full Time/Part Time: Full Time
Hours worked/day: 8 hours/day; 5 days/week
Months/year: Nine months/year
Salary or Salary Range: Commensurate with qualifications and experience; excellent benefits
Posting Number: S1600234
First Consideration Date: 04/10/2018
Open Until Filled: Yes
How to apply
Southern Utah University is committed to maintaining a community which recognizes and values the worth and dignity of every person; fosters tolerance, understanding, and mutual respect among its members; and encourages individual commitment to personal responsibilities in equal measure with personal rights. In pursuit of its goal of academic excellence, the University seeks to develop and nurture diversity. The University believes that diversity among its many members strengthens the institution, stimulates creativity, promotes the exchange of ideas, and enriches campus life.
Southern Utah University does not discriminate against any member of the University community on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability status, veteran status, pregnancy, pregnancy-related condition, genetic information, or other bases protected by applicable law in employment, treatment, admission, access to educational programs and activities, or other University benefits or services.