We are seeking to hire a full-time Postdoctoral Research Associate in general plant pathology and microbiology.
Outstanding UA benefits include health, dental, vision, and life insurance; paid vacation, sick leave, and holidays; UA/ASU/NAU tuition reduction for the employee and qualified family members; access to UA recreation and cultural activities; and more!
Accepting a new position is a big life step. We want potential candidates and their families to be able to make informed decisions. Candidates who are considering relocation to the Tucson or Phoenix area, and have been offered an on-site interview, are encouraged to use the free services offered by Above & Beyond Relocation Services (ABRS).Ask your department contact to be introduced to ABRS prior to your visit.
The University of Arizona has been recognized on Forbes 2015 list of America’s Best Employers in the United States and has been awarded the 2016 Work-Life Seal of Distinction by World@Work! For more information about working at the University of Arizona, please click here.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Assist supervisor in conducting routine Laboratory experiments using basic microbiology and molecular biology techniques. Responsible for pathogen isolation, identification, cataloging and storage of pathogen specimens. DNA/RNA extraction, quantification, and PCR. Develop, manage, and maintain laboratory protocols. The position will also be responsible for a range of tasks related to lab management, including training and supervision of other lab staff, lab safety compliance and inspections, purchasing, and stocking and maintenance of equipment, supplies, and chemical reagents; the position will be responsible for collecting and analyzing data, and carrying out basic statistical analyses;
- Assist supervisor in planning and conducting field plot trials on disease control. Collect and process research samples and data according to written protocols; perform data entry and assist in report preparation and presentation of results. Travel across several counties in the central and southern Arizona is required to field research trial sites;
- Participate in routine discussions with the PI. Perform other duties as necessary: conduct literature searches and prepare journal article manuscript, extension publication, project report, and grant proposal; participate in extension workshops and presentations, present research results at scientific and/or grower meetings; provide training for undergraduate and graduate student workers. This includes planning, assigning, and approving work, as well as coordinating work schedules and delegating tasks in the field/laboratory.
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities
- Experience working with plants and/or microorganisms infecting plants in field and laboratory settings, including growing plants and microbes, taking care of plants and cultures, sterile technique, and storing microbial long-term cultures;
- Demonstrated ability to learn and follow scientific protocols. Detail-oriented, organized, and maintain a clean working environment. Skilled in making buffers, media preparation, centrifugation, pipetting, and weighing;
- Strong verbal and written communication skills as well as experience giving oral presentations and writing scientific reports;
- Experience with Microsoft Office suite, data entering, record keeping, and SAS or similar statistical analysis platforms;
- Ability to search and read scientific literature pertinent to job;
- Possess/acquire pesticide applicator’s license within 6 months of hire date;
- Ability to work with minimal supervision and delegate to others.
- PhD from an accredited institution in Plant Pathology, Microbiology, Biological Sciences, Plant Sciences, or closely related field
- PhD from an accredited institution in Plant Pathology
- Performs diagnosis of plant samples and Koch’s postulates as needed;
- Skills in basic statistical and molecular analyses;
- Demonstrated experience in testing, writing new scientific protocols, as well as operating and maintaining technical field and laboratory equipment such as sprayers, autoclave, thermocycler, centrifuge, spectrophotometers, gel and documentation system;
- Demonstrated experience providing supervision/lead work for others in a research setting;
- Prepares reports, extension publications and manuscripts; assists summer interns, research aides, graduate students, visiting scholars and post-doctoral researchers with their research projects.
Full Time/Part Time Full Time
Number of Hours Worked per Week 40
Benefits Eligible Yes – Full Benefits
Posted Rate of Pay Salary is commensurate with education and experience
Type of criminal background check required
Name-based criminal background check (non-security sensitive)
Desired Start Date 03/13/2017
How to apply
The University of Arizona is a committed Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Institution. Women, minorities, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.