Department: Art and Design – 21050
Job Category: Faculty
The Department of Art & Design at East Tennessee State University invites applications for two (2) one-year Visiting Assistant Professor positions in Art History in beginning Fall 2018. The positions are full-time, 9-month, non tenure-track appointments with benefits.
Responsibilities will involve teaching a full load of courses each semester including survey, undergraduate, and graduate courses, along with other departmental activities such as program development.
Courses taught in Art History may range from Ancient to Contemporary to Western and Non-Western, with possible related courses such as Seminar, Theory, and Capstone. The area(s) of specialty of faculty selected, teaching experience, and the needs of the department will be taken into consideration.
Ideal candidates will be engaged scholars committed to teaching and learning and eager to contribute to the intellectual and creative discourse of the university and community.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Broad-ranging and specific knowledge of the History of Art.
- Ability to teach undergraduate and graduate courses in Art History ranging from survey to focused topics.
- Ability to teach related courses such as Seminar, Theory, Capstone, Art Appreciation, and Research Methods.
- Excellent demonstrated writing and research skills in Art History or closely related fields.
- PhD or ABD in Art History or closely related field by August, 2018
- Teaching experience in Art History or closely related field at a college or university level.
- PhD in Art History or closely related field
- Excellent publication record
- Demonstrated knowledge of art theory and criticism and contemporary artistic practices
- Two years or more of university teaching experience as an instructor of record in Art History or closely related field.
Posting Number: F00123P
How to apply
- Cover letter
- Statement of teaching philosophy
- 1-3 sample syllabi for courses taught – uploaded to “Evidence of Teaching Excellence” required document.
- 2-3 representative writing or publication samples – uploaded to the “Portfolio” required document.
- Research Statement – updated to “Statement of Research” required document.
- Names of three references who may be contacted to provide a letter of recommendation.