Salary: $35 – $40 hour
Starting Date: As soon as possible
- Provides ESL program services that foster English proficiency, academic learning and personal growth.
- Develops lesson plans and instructional materials and provides opportunities for individualized and small group instruction in order to adapt the curriculum to the needs of each pupil.
- Sets specific objectives in lesson preparation and weekly lesson plans and carries through presentation to effectively achieve these objectives.
- Assesses pupil academic progress, English proficiency and personal growth toward stated objectives of instruction. Assesses students to determine leveling and progress in the ESL program.
- Maintains and summarizes records of pupils’ educational progress for reporting purposes.
- Identifies academic and support services needs of ELLs and cooperates with other professional staff members in assessing and resolving learning problems.
- Establishes and maintains standards of pupil behavior needed to achieve a classroom climate conducive to learning for English Language Learners (ELL).
- Budgets class time effectively.
- Devises written and oral assignments and tests that require analytical and critical thinking as well as the reproduction of facts.
- Supervises pupils in out-of-classroom activities as assigned.
- Participates in department-level planning, faculty meetings/committees and other university system groups.
- Makes effective use of community resources to enhance the instructional program.
- Upholds and enforces departmental rules, administrative regulations and university policy.
- Notifies the director promptly with information relevant to orderly departmental operations, such as observations about absenteeism, student wellness, or other matters impacting student learning.
- Performs other duties within the scope of his/her employment and certification as may be assigned
- Bachelor’s Degree required; certificate or Master’s degree in teaching and/or related field
- Minimum of 2 yrs. teaching experience, beginning level preferred (online teaching is a plus)
- Demonstrated language proficiency and knowledge of effective teaching methods
- Ability to maintain a positive learning environment
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Required criminal history background check and proof of U.S. citizenship or legal resident alien status
- Must have excellent computer skills and can work with multiple types of learning management platforms such as Google Classroom, and software programs
- Use analytical skills to evaluate student work and ongoing student progress
- Must be able to work as a team of instructional members to ensure students have a positive learning experience
LIU is an equal opportunity employer. LIU is committed to extending equal opportunity in employment to all qualified candidates who can contribute to the diversity and excellence of our academic community. LIU encourages applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender and/or gender identity or expression, marital or parental status, national origin, ethnicity, citizenship status, veteran or military status, age, disability or any other basis protected by applicable local, state or federal laws. Hiring is contingent on eligibility to work in the United States.
How to apply
If you apply for this position or indicate an interest advise the HR person you saw this advertisements on jobs.world.edu