Tenure Status: Tenure Track
The Coppin State University College of Business invites applications for a full-time tenure-track Assistant/Associate Professor for the Data Science Bachelor of Science program beginning Fall 2020. Successful applicants will demonstrate an ability and commitment to:
- instruct undergraduate students in Data Science and Enterprise Systems courses;
- grow the Data Science program and increase public awareness of its existence;
- conduct research in Data Science and Enterprise Systems; and
- assist with curriculum development in Data Science and Enterprise Systems.
The successful applicant will demonstrate the ability and commitment to teaching and recruiting students, advising student organizations, making intellectual contributions to the field, professional service, grant writing, professional development, and to meeting the instructional standards of the department, school, and university. She/he should demonstrate proficiency in the methods of delivery of course content, including traditional classroom-based, completely online, and hybrid systems. The successful applicant will also participate in departmental, college, and university committees. This is a 10-month position beginning in August 2020. The College of Business is accredited by ACBSP.
- Instruct 12 credit hours of undergraduate courses, day, evening, and/or online.
- Conduct research with students to bolster their understanding of data science.
- Publish and present results at conferences, symposia, and workshops to increase program exposure.
- Function in Department, Division and University committees to interact and interface with CSU faculty, staff and students to expand the intrinsic interdisciplinary and multidisciplinary aspects of data science.
- Assist in writing proposals for obtaining external and internal funds for data science and enterprise systems.
- PhD in Data Science or related field from an accredited institution.
- Related fields include Computer Science, Mathematics, Statistics, Information Systems, Operations Management, Economics, and Finance.
- Industry experience in the private sector, three years preferred, or equivalent academic experience.
- Research experience involving analysis and management of high throughput and massive storage capacity data repositories including high-level mathematical methodologies algebraic, numeric and algorithmic.
- Prior teaching experience in a related field is a plus.
CSU is a historically black college and university (HBCU). It is to the advantage of the applicant to be familiar with diverse populations and their histories. A faculty member at CSU understands that students may require some level of nurturing in addition to traditional types of advising and this nurturing takes the form of mentorship that benefits both the student and faculty member. It is important that the applicant be sensitive to some aspects of a CSU student’s education that, once engaged, make for better students and faculty alike.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES, AND OTHER CHARACTERISTICS:
- Familiarity with various computer system architectures from massive multiprocessor systems to miniaturized personal cluster computer systems.
- Software development skills using programs on Microsoft platforms and open-source software such as Linux.
- It is expected that the applicant will have experience using some of the available open-source software development applications, including, Jupyter notebooks (Python 3).
Posting Number: FA2020-0002
Open Until Filled: Yes