Adelphi University Libraries at Adelphi University seeks a librarian to join our Research and Instruction services team, to strengthen support of faculty, students, and staff on matters pertaining to their scholarly and research endeavors in the basic science and/or clinical research setting. This position will serve as a liaison to the College of Nursing and Public Health. Early career librarians are encouraged to apply.
REPORTS TO: Dean of Libraries
RESPONSIBILITIES & DUTIES:
- Works with a wide range of campus stakeholders to increase awareness among faculty, researchers and students at Adelphi University about digital information resources and their broad application to and integration with campus education, research, and clinical efforts.
- Serve as liaison to campus academic programs, ensuring faculty and students are fully aware of the services and resources offered by the library and its faculty.
- Collaborates with key constituents on research synthesis projects, such as journal clubs, seminars, and systematic reviews.
- Develops print and electronic support materials on relevant topics; plans and organizes regular campus events and programming on these topics.
- Selects resources (electronic resources, journals, and software tools) to support this area of effort.
- Works with faculty and students to develop ideas for new programs and services and a deeper understanding of service needs.
- Contributes to library-wide planning activities and collaborates with colleagues on projects in areas of shared interest. Actively participates in appropriate library programs and services where appropriate.
- Actively supports and contributes to a diverse and culturally sensitive working environment.
- Manage projects to effectively and efficiently provide services. Seeks grant opportunities to fund innovation efforts.
- Attends faculty and student research seminars, department wide conferences and university symposia to keep abreast of current research.
- Serves on university and library committees as appropriate.
- Participates in scholarly societies, attends academic conferences, and represents the library in relevant academic activities.
- Through instruction, consultations, and other methods, facilitate data discovery, interpretation, visualization, and management in close collaboration with Research and Instruction colleagues.
REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS & COMPETENCIES:
- Master’s degree in library or information science from an ALA-accredited program or international equivalent, or other appropriate degree or equivalent experience.
- Strong ability to think and act strategically, and demonstrated success at bringing concepts to realization while meeting deadlines.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and collaboratively with a diverse population of faculty/staff, students, and colleagues.
- Excellent supervisory skills.
- Excellent database searching skills; Proficiency in searching bibliographic and citation databases, such as: PubMed, Scopus, the Cochrane Library, PsycINFO, and CINAHL Complete.
- Demonstrated ability to learn new technology tools/skills.
- Excellent analytical, interpersonal, time management, organizational and problem-solving skills.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills; demonstrated ability to communicate effectively both in person and virtually using a variety of media and technologies.
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS AND COMPETENCIES:
- A second post-baccalaureate degree or similar proof of advanced study is highly preferred and is required for promotion to the rank of Associate Professor and for tenure.
- Academic background or prior professional experience in the health sciences.
- Proficiency with Excel or other spreadsheet/reporting platforms.
- Proficiency with Zotero, Mendeley or other reference management and research collaboration tools.
- Excellent presentation skills; demonstrated ability to develop relevant educational content and teach workshops related to biomedical information resources and information management.
- Demonstrated experience working with diverse stakeholders in a health care environment.
- Demonstrated experience providing instructional and reference services including the creation of online tutorials, surveys, or guides.
- Experience providing reference and specialized research services to nursing, public health, and allied health disciplines, faculty, students, and affiliated clinical researchers.
- Experience or strong interest in collaborating with teams working on systematic reviews and other research synthesis projects.
Adelphi University, New York, is a highly awarded, nationally ranked, powerfully connected doctoral research university dedicated to transforming students’ lives through small classes with world-class faculty, hands-on learning and innovative ways to support academic and career success. Adelphi offers exceptional liberal arts and sciences programs and professional training, with particular strength in our Core Four—Arts and Humanities, STEM and Social Sciences, the Business and Education Professions, and Health and Wellness. Recognized as a Best College by U.S. News & World Report, Adelphi is Long Island’s oldest private coeducational university, serving more than 8,100 students at its beautiful main campus in Garden City, at learning hubs in Manhattan, the Hudson Valley and Suffolk County, and online. The University offers students more than 50 undergraduate majors and 70 graduate programs in the liberal arts, the sciences and professional training. With powerful partnerships throughout the New York area, more than 115,000 graduates across the country, a growing enrollment of students from 41 states and 58 countries, and rising rankings from top publications and organizations, Adelphi is a dynamic community that plays a leadership role on Long Island and in the region.
How to apply
- Applicants should submit a cover letter, curriculum vitae, and names of three people who will serve as references.
- Informal inquiries concerning the position are welcome: Christina Connolly, [email protected].
- We will begin reviewing applications immediately and will continue until the appropriate candidates are secured.
- We strongly encourage applications from members of historically under-represented minority groups.