NOTE: This job listing has expired and may no longer be relevant!
The Department of English and Philosophy at Murray State University seeks to hire a tenure-track assistant professor to teach primarily in our Doctor of Arts program in English Pedagogy. The new hire should bring special emphases on teaching English in public secondary schools and on the school-to-college transition.
Summary of Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- Teach graduate English pedagogy courses on assessment, curriculum, reflective methods, and instructional technology
- Teach other graduate and undergraduate courses according to departmental needs
- Work with graduate students on research and capstone experiences
- Maintain an active agenda of scholarly research in the field
- Engage in university service
- Pursue external grants and other extramural funding.
Minimum Education Requirements:
- Doctorate in English, English Education, or closely related field
- Minimum of 18 graduate hours in English
- Graduate coursework in pedagogy or pedagogical research
Minimum Experience and Skill Requirements:
- Evidence of strong teaching
- Evidence of strong potential for research and publication
- Ability and willingness to teach through diverse modes (evening, daytime, traditional, online, hybrid, weekender)
- Evidence of ability to work with teachers at middle, secondary, and community college levels.
Preferred Education and/or Experience Qualifications:
- Experience teaching English language arts in public secondary or middle schools
- Experience mentoring or supervising student-teachers
- Evidence of an ability and a willingness to interpret and implement curricula in ways that advance racial justice, especially by drawing from experience and a history of engagement with underserved communities of color and underrepresented minority students.