NOTE: This job listing has expired and may no longer be relevant!
Salt Lake City, UT
Department: 00121 – Chemistry
City: Salt Lake City, UT
Track: Non Tenure Track
New Position to Begin: August 2021
The Department of Chemistry at the University of Utah invites applications for a career-line (non tenure-track) faculty member at the rank of Assistant Professor (Lecturer). We seek a model educator to help us provide a world-class education for every undergraduate student. The successful applicant will have: 1) a PhD or equivalent in Chemistry, Chemistry education or a related field; 2) a commitment to equity in Chemistry education and record of utilizing inclusive, evidence-based instructional practices; 3) experience collaborating with faculty, staff, and students to reform aspects of the undergraduate Chemistry curriculum; and 4) excellent communication, organization, and leadership skills. We seek a long-term colleague who will be fully integrated into our department.
The responsibilities of the successful candidate will be to:
- Teach 5-6 courses per year. The expectation is that the core teaching will include organic chemistry and general chemistry (both lab and lecture) but may also include other courses as appropriate.
- Work with other faculty to develop, implement, and assess the effectiveness of curriculum reforms.
- Serve as a model and consultant for other faculty who want to utilize inclusive, evidence-based instructional practices in their courses.
- Work with Chemistry staff and faculty affiliates to help execute college-wide educational programs. While the successful candidate will not be expected to seek external funding or publish peer-reviewed papers, collaborative opportunities for such activities may be possible, provided they are synergistic with the above responsibilities.
This is an exciting time in the Department of Chemistry. The University is experiencing large enrollment increases, resulting in a more diverse student body from a broader range of academic, geographic, socioeconomic, ethnic, and life-experience backgrounds. We seek a colleague committed to inclusive excellence who will make a lasting impact on our department and institution. The Department is committed to building a diverse intellectual and artistic community, and encourages applicants of all races, ethnicities, genders, backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives to apply.
Details of appointment:
- Receive a 12-month, salaried (exempt) appointment within the career-line track which includes summer compensation. The career-line track does not include the possibility of tenure, but otherwise parallels the tenure track with various ranks (assistant, associate, and full professor).
- Be eligible to be PIs on grants, to serve on departmental, college, and university committees and in leadership roles.
- Be reviewed informally on an annual basis (like their tenure-track colleagues).
- Have the option to request a formal review for promotion to a higher rank within the career-line track at their discretion.
Preference will be given to candidates with demonstrated successful teaching experience at this level as evidenced by course evaluations and reference letters.
The University of Utah is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer and does not discriminate based upon race, national origin, color, religion, sex, age, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, status as a person with a disability, genetic information, or Protected Veteran status. Individuals from historically underrepresented groups, such as minorities, women, qualified persons with disabilities and protected veterans are encouraged to apply. Veterans’ preference is extended to qualified applicants, upon request and consistent with University policy and Utah state law. Upon request, reasonable accommodations in the application process will be provided to individuals with disabilities. To inquire about the University’s nondiscrimination or affirmative action policies or to request disability accommodation, please contact: Director, Office of Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action, 201 S. Presidents Circle, Rm 135, (801) 581-8365.
The University of Utah values candidates who have experience working in settings with students from diverse backgrounds, and possess a strong commitment to improving access to higher education for historically underrepresented students.
The University is a participating employer with Utah Retirement Systems (“URS”). Eligible new hires with prior URS service, may elect to enroll in URS if they make the election before they become eligible for retirement (usually the first day of work). Contact Human Resources at (801) 581-7447 for information. Individuals who previously retired and are receiving monthly retirement benefits from URS are subject to URS’ post-retirement rules and restrictions. Please contact Utah Retirement Systems at (801) 366-7770 or (800) 695-4877 or University Human Resource Management at (801) 581-7447 if you have questions regarding the post-retirement rules.
This position may require the successful completion of a criminal background check and/or drug screen and immunizations.
How to apply
Application process and timeline:
Please upload the information described below with your application:
Review of applications will commence on March 5, 2021 and continue until filled.
- Your complete academic curriculum vitae
- A list of at least three (3) references.
- A teaching statement describing your educational philosophy and experience. This statement should describe your implementation of inclusive, evidence-based instructional practices.
Open Until Filled: Yes
Requisition Number: PRN00652CF