NOTE: This job listing has expired and may no longer be relevant!
Position Number: 202247
Job Summary/Basic Function:
Who We Are:
Lamar University is a diverse and accessible global university for life-long learners with a passion for broad-based community engagement. As a vital contributor to the socioeconomic wellbeing and resilience of the Gulf Coast region, our expertise is recognized locally and beyond. Lamar University is home to more than 17,000 students and is among the fastest growing Texas colleges and universities. LU is a member of The Texas State University System, which is the first higher education system of Texas and maintains the lowest average tuition and fees of any university system in Texas. With more than 100 degree options and a community that cares, Lamar students are always proud to be Cardinals.
Lamar University is committed to fostering a culture of diversity where students, faculty and staff of all backgrounds can learn, work, and serve.
About This Role:
Lamar University’s Department of Art & Design is growing! After completing a successful search for an Assistant Professor in Graphic Designer this year, we are looking for another Tenure-Track Position in Graphic Design to be filled immediately. This is another line position in addition to the one that we have just filled. Responsibilities will include: Teach introductory and advanced graphic design courses; advise Graphic Design students; serve as faculty sponsor for graphic design student group; provide leadership in curriculum, equipment, and facilities development for undergraduate graphic design program and facility; serve on senior thesis committees, serve on departmental, college and university committees; and other responsibilities as assigned by the department chair.
- Teaching and related activities
- Research and creative activities
- Service and related activities
At Lamar University one of the ways we show value to our team members is by offering the following perks:
- Health, dental & vision insurance
- Life insurance
- State of Texas Retirement plans
- Tuition covered at 100% for employees, spouses and/or eligible dependent
- Paid time off – vacation, sick, and holidays.
- MFA in Graphic Design, Visual Communication, or directly related field
- Expertise and professional experience in print and/or multimedia; record of professional and creative accomplishment; ability to teach typography, logo design, brand identity, page layout, publishing, illustration, and web deign using industry standard software to include Adobe Creative Cloud apps; knowledge of Macintosh platforms.
Key Competencies: Ability to teach typography, logo design, brand identity, page layout, publishing, illustration, and web deign using industry standard software to include Adobe Creative Cloud apps; knowledge of Macintosh platforms.
Physical Requirements: Standing for long periods while teaching.
Job Conditions: Classroom and office settings.
- Knowledge of current design industry trends as demonstrated with published creative work or professional experience; ability to teach traditional and new media design courses. Some teaching experience at the undergraduate level is preferable.
Security Sensitive Statement:
This position is security-sensitive and thereby subject to the provisions of the Texas Education Code 51.215, which authorizes the employer to obtain criminal history record information.
Open Until Filled: Yes
Applicant must submit an online application form at https://jobs.lamar.edu along with the following as uploaded attachments:
- Cover letter that clearly delineates applicants relevant experience and expertise to the advertised position:
- Curriculum Vitae;
- Teaching Philosophy;
- Portfolio of Professional Work in a single PDF document to include; 1) 20 examples of professional work and 2) any additional web links that are appropriate. Please keep PDF file size no larger than 9 MB.
- Portfolio Submission of Student Work Examples, if available. Please keep PDF file size no larger than 9 MB.
- 3 Professional References with addresses, email addresses, telephone numbers, and professional relationship to the candidate.
Review of applications will begin on May 17, 2023 and continue until the position is filled.
Questions regarding the position can be directed to:
Dr. Stephanie Chadwick, Interim Chair
Department of Art & DesignCollege of Fine Arts & Communication
Lamar Universityc/o Human ResourcesPO Box 11127Beaumont, Texas 77710
Email: [email protected]
How to apply
To apply, visit
Apply for this Job