East Lansing, MI
The Department of Art, Art History, and Design at Michigan State University invites applications for a tenure-system assistant professor with expertise at the intersection of the computational/media arts and user-experience design.
Potential areas of research and creative practice include
- Interface politics
- Ethics of computing
- Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning
- Critical UI/UX
- Feminist Data Studies and Feminist HCI
- Decoloniality in Computing/Tech
- Physical computing
- Computer vision and the politics of surveillance
- Net art
- Tactical media
This position lies within the cross-disciplinary mission of the Experience Architecture (XA) degree program, which is a collaboration between the Department of Art, Art History, and Design (AAHD) and the Department of Writing, Rhetoric, and American Cultures (WRAC) and one of the fastest-growing majors in the College of Arts and Letters. The expected time percentage for this position is 40% research, 40% teaching, and 20% service.
We seek a motivated artist-scholar and teacher to play a key role in the ongoing curricular development of the XA major and to shape the future of AAHD. The normal teaching load will be 2-2, with the majority of teaching contributing to the XA major and Electronic Art and Intermedia area. The faculty member will also have opportunities for advising and teaching in AAHD’s MFA program. Through a synthesis of teaching and research, this faculty member will strengthen the connection between media art and design across the college, stretch the capabilities of students, and help to develop the XA program as an intellectual center in the College of Arts and Letters. The faculty member will be expected to participate in shared governance activities within the Department, the College, and the University.
This faculty position will be centered in the Electronic Art and Intermedia area within AAHD, but require significant engagement with the XA program. The ideal candidate will use this role as a jumping-off point for connections across the institution as part of their research and teaching practices. Additional cross-campus faculty affiliations are possible depending on candidate’s expertise.
- MFA or PhD in Art, Design, or related field.
- Teaching experience at the college level and the capacity to develop curriculum in computation, electronic art and intermedia, and experience architecture.
- An active program of research and creative activity that demonstrates expertise within the fields of electronic art and intermedia and experience architecture, broadly construed.
- Salary will be commensurate with qualifications. MSU offers a generous benefits package (details at http://www.hr.msu.edu).
How to apply
Qualified applicants should submit:
- Cover letter
- Current curriculum vitae
- Portfolio of creative practice in .pdf format with links, when appropriate
- Teaching philosophy that highlights alignment with this appointment
- Research statement
- Portfolio of student work (up to 20 images/videos/texts)
- A summary of your experiences advancing diversity, equity, and justice in your classroom, outreach initiatives, and/or research endeavors; experience mentoring diverse students and/or faculty; and, an explanation of how you will advance our goals of inclusive excellence
- Names and email addresses of 3 potential references
Review of applications will begin November 15, 2019 and will continue until the position is filled. Applications must be submitted electronically to the Michigan State University Human Resources web site http://careers.msu.edu/.
For more information, contact Zachary Kaiser, Chair of the Search Committee, at [email protected]. For more information about the Department of Art, Art History, and Design, go to http://art.msu.edu. For more information about the Experience Architecture Program, visit http://xa.cal.msu.edu.
Persons with disabilities have the right to request and receive reasonable accommodation.