College Of Business
Proposed Minimum Salary
The Department of Marketing and Business Analytics in the College of Business at Texas A&M University-Commerce invites energetic and visionary applicants with leadership experience for the position of Department Head. The Department Head reports to the Dean of the College of Business, serves as the chief administrative and academic leader of the department, and will be responsible for moving the Department to a higher level of excellence and visibility in academic programs, research, student preparation and industry engagement.
The Department Head is the academic leader of the department. Responsibilities include program development, faculty and staff recruiting and evaluation, strategic planning, department budgeting, and participation in the governance of the College. The Head will develop and direct an advisory board composed of alumni and corporate constituents; engage in corporate outreach and be actively involved in professional organizations. The Head is typically expected to teach 2 courses per academic semester.
The position is a full-time, 9-month, tenured position, at the Associate or Full Professor rank, as well as, serve as Department Head for Marketing and Business Analytics with half-time teaching responsibilities. The position will also have a summer appointment serving as Department Head with half-time teaching responsibilities. The position serves as the chief administrative and academic leader of the department, and will be responsible for moving the Department to a higher level of excellence and visibility in academic programs, research, and student preparation. The position is responsible for developing a productive and collaborative atmosphere, mentoring faculty, developing an effective shared governance system, working effectively with the college dean and senior administration, building excellence in curriculum and coursework scheduling in collaboration with the department faculty, and initiating and sustaining an externally funded research program.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Leads by setting an example of excellence in teaching, service, and scholarly/creative activities as well as administrative ability.
- Fosters excellence in teaching, service, and scholarly/creative activities of the faculty through collaboration and building a positive culture and effective structures, policies, and communication channels.
- Leads the faculty in strategic planning and in setting and achieving short and long term departmental/program goals consistent with college and university goals.
- Serves as the department’s chief advocate for advancing the mission of the college and the institution.
- Assesses departmental performance and determines critical requirements for program practices and documentation.
- Leads best practice expectations for recruitment and retention of students, faculty success, alumni relations, securing and managing extramural funding, and other scholarly and fundraising initiatives.
- Promotes and mentors the professional development of faculty within the academic department. Encourages and supports attendance at professional conferences, grant writing, academic and research publications, professional consulting, mentoring, and community engagement. Mentors faculty to success in achieving tenure and advancing through ranks. Maintains professional development and ongoing success of seasoned faculty.
- Performs annual evaluations of faculty and staff. Develop annual performance plans outlining what each faculty or staff member will accomplish in the coming year.
- Ensures that departmental course offerings optimize resources and are offered in a timely manner with adequate student input to ensure the smooth flow of student progress toward graduation.
- Exercises fiduciary responsibility on all departmental operating, special, and endowment accounts as well as fixed and consumable assets assigned to departmental programs. Monitors dedicated scholarships closely and ensures that awards are made in a timely fashion.
- Develops and improves departmental plan for curriculum development, review and revision. Utilizes course assessments and input from faculty, program graduates, and external stakeholders/employers. Utilizes results from these assessments to identify and respond to areas of greater demand and to seek out new areas of strength.
- Promotes student retention and graduation. Monitors graduation rates and ensures compliance with any relevant Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board requirements, particularly, where appropriate, state-mandated core curriculum learning goals.
- Collaborates with departmental faculty to mentor new graduate students and ensure that any graduate assistants employed by the department, including those supported by extramural funds, receive appropriate training and mentoring to enable them to perform their job assignments professionally.
- Serves as the primary liaison with the dean, graduate school, the registrar, and institutional effectiveness.
- Ensures operations so as to ensure continuous accreditation; oversees the assessment processes and faculty qualifications necessary for accreditation.
- Keeps faculty informed of institutional issues in a timely and transparent fashion and manages departmental student issues; decides on employment of adjunct faculty and graduate assistants; engaged in departmental fund-raising initiatives; and completes various required reports.
- Recommends to the dean faculty members’ (re)appointment, promotion and tenure, and special assignments of workload consistent with the college as well as university policies.
- Provides direction and supervision for the department staff.
- Serves on selected departmental, college and university committees.
- Education: Earned doctorate in Marketing, Business Analytics or Supply Chain, or a closely related field from an AACSB-accredited institution and a distinguished record of quality research, effective teaching and service commensurate with appointment at the rank of associate professor or professor.
- Experience / Knowledge / Skills: Academic background commensurate with the rank of associate professor or higher. Evidence of effective leadership and commitment to shared governance and high-quality programs.
- Ability to: Multitask and work cooperatively with faculty, staff, students and others with varying cultures and backgrounds. Ability to work beyond normal office hours and/or weekends as needed. Ability to travel.
- Licensing/Professional Certifications: None
- Physical Requirements: None
- Other Requirements: None
PREFERRED EDUCATION / SKILLS/ EXPERIENCE:
- Preferred qualifications include evidence of executing strategies for a program, center, or department including a history of leadership as a department head/chair, assistant department head/chair or associate dean.
- Preference will also be given to candidates with continued research engagement through refereed publications and/or funded research; evidence of ability to maintain collegial working relationships with other administrators and within the department; familiarity with grant writing and funding processes; experience with the AACSB accreditation process; experience working with external constituencies, including alumni and donors; and experience supervising graduate students.
- Program development experience is highly desirable.
SUPERVISION OF OTHERS:
Departmental faculty,staff and graduate students/student workers
This document represents the major duties, responsibilities, and authorities of this job, and is not intended to be a complete list of all tasks and functions. Other duties may be assigned. Texas A&M University-Commerce is committed to promotion of diversity and thus the all employees are expected to facilitate a work environment that encourages knowledge of, respect for, and ability to engage with those of other cultures or backgrounds. This job description is not an employment agreement or contract. The University has the exclusive right to alter this job description at any time without notice.
All positions are security-sensitive. Applicants are subject to a criminal history investigation, and employment is contingent upon the institution’s verification of credentials and/or other information required by the institution’s procedures, including the completion of the criminal history check.
Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/Veterans/Disability Employer committed to diversity.
How to apply
During the application process you have one opportunity to upload documents as a combined PDF. The page “My Experience” has an area provided under Resume/CV to drop or upload the file.
This one combined PDF must include:
- Cover Letter
- Three professional references with complete contact information (Unsolicited letters of recommendation will not be considered).
- Transcripts – If required for the position (Unofficial will be accepted with application. Official transcripts are required at time of verbal offer).
If transcripts are from an international institution, it is the responsibility of the prospective faculty member to have the transcripts translated and evaluated by an approved credential evaluator.
All documents must be electronically submitted through the Texas A&M Online Employment Services website to be considered. Incomplete or improperly submitted applications may be excluded from consideration.