The Department of Fisheries and Wildlife in the College of Agriculture and Natural Resources (CANR) at Michigan State University (MSU) invites applications for Chairperson. We seek a dynamic, visionary, and inclusive leader who will strategically focus the intellectual resources of our faculty, students, and staff to address the most challenging natural resource issues confronting society. The Department of Fisheries and Wildlife has a diversity of faculty and staff members who have a demonstrated commitment to advance the frontiers of scientific discovery and prepare the next generation of natural resources leaders through engaged learning and outreach. Our sustained success in research, outreach, and education has been achieved by extensive collaborations across numerous disciplines and through partnerships with natural resources management agencies, conservation organizations, and other interest groups. The Department’s size, diversity, and demonstrated commitment to the land-grant philosophy represents a substantial opportunity for a leader with the vision and desire to broaden our impacts across the Great Lakes region, the nation, and the globe. The position is a full-time, 12-month tenure system appointment.
Qualified candidates must: (a) have earned a doctorate in a natural resources or closely-related discipline and meet the requirements for tenure at the rank of full professor in the Department of Fisheries and Wildlife at MSU; (b) have experience in administration of personnel, budgets, and programs; (c) demonstrate outstanding leadership, communication, and interpersonal skills necessary to lead a diverse community; and, (d) demonstrate a commitment to fostering diversity, equity, and inclusion in a range of academic and professional activities.
Desired qualifications include:
- An outstanding record of achievement, including a demonstrated record of scholarship, teaching, service, leadership, team building and collaboration, and developing and fostering partnerships.
- Experience administering a large, multidisciplinary, and diverse team with a variety of appointments and assignments across the college and university.
- Experience overseeing academic department budgets, an ability to garner additional funds and resources for department programs, and experience with advancement and development.
- Experience building capacities that support natural resource management and conservation through integrated programs in research, education, and outreach and engagement, consistent with the land-grant mission.
The Chairperson will provide leadership of the Department in all teaching, research, Extension, and outreach programs. The Chairperson is expected to maintain and enhance a creative, productive, and inclusive environment for faculty, staff, and students, and serve as the principal representative of the Department with authority and responsibility for administrative decisions. The Chairperson reports directly to the Dean of the College of Agriculture and Natural Resources, and interacts with senior leadership of the College, MSU Extension, MSU AgBioResearch, and partner agencies and interest groups with whom the Department has cooperative agreements.
Key responsibilities of the Chairperson are to:
- Provide leadership for advancing and articulating the mission, vision and values of the Department within the broader mission of CANR and MSU;
- Recruit and retain outstanding faculty and staff, assign responsibilities, evaluate performance, and promote faculty, student and staff development with transparency and empathy;
- Supervise staff positions that require annual reviews, goal setting, leadership, and consistent oversight;
- Manage and administer the Department budget, providing leadership in the procurement of financial and structural resources necessary to enable the Department’s success;
- Work cooperatively within the departmental governance structure (e.g. faculty-elected advisory committee);
- Foster a culture of transparency and equity that supports the success of a large and diverse community of faculty, staff, and students;
- Promote diversity, equity, and inclusion in classrooms and the work environment;
- Serve as liaison and advocate for the Department within the larger governance structure of the College and University, and with other Departments and Colleges (especially those housing jointly-appointed faculty);
- Promote the Department’s teaching, research, Extension, and outreach programs to state, regional, national and international audiences;
- Maintain and enhance existing relationships with partnered agencies (e,g., Michigan Department of Natural Resources, Great Lakes Fisheries Commission, United States Geological Survey Cooperative Research) and organizations (e.g., Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations), which also include those via the Partnership for Ecosystem Research and Management (PERM) in collaboration with leadership of AgBioResearch; and
- Develop and cultivate relationships with state and federal agencies of the U.S. and Canadian governments, Tribal governance, private organizations, industry groups, departmental alumni, and other entities actively engaged in Department activities.
How to apply
To apply, applicants must submit an application at the MSU Human Resources website at https://careers.msu.edu/cw/en-us/listing/ (Posting #854977) that includes: (1) a two-page cover letter of application indicating your interest in the position and the Department, (2) a statement of administrative philosophy and vision for strategically defining program direction and future growth, and fostering faculty/staff/student development and success (3 page maximum); (3) a narrative describing administrative and professional experiences that relates to the Chairperson’s responsibilities (1500 words max.); (4) a statement of how you will contribute to diversity, equity, and inclusion in alignment with the department’s strategic goals (2 page maximum); and (5) a complete curriculum vitae. Candidates selected for initial interviews will be asked to provide contact information for five references and to submit letters of reference. Review of the applications will begin June 30, 2023, and the search will remain open until the position is filled. Start date is negotiable (January 2024 or earlier is desired). For more information on this position, please contact the search committee co-chairs:
Dr. Jennifer (Jen) Owen, Co-Chair Dr. Henry (Rique) Campa III, Co-Chair
Department of Fisheries and Wildlife Department of Fisheries and Wildlife
480 Wilson Rd., Room 13 480 Wilson Rd., Room 2A
East Lansing, MI 48824 East Lansing, MI 48824
228 – 355 – 1341 517-353-2042 or 517-432-7340
E-mail: [email protected] E-mail: [email protected]
The Department of Fisheries and Wildlife and the CANR are committed to achieving excellence by creating and sustaining an inclusive culture that values all diversity. We are an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. The College is particularly interested in candidates of all backgrounds who are committed to the principle that academic excellence and accessibility are achieved by promoting diversity, equity, and inclusion.
If you apply for this position or indicate an interest advise the HR person you saw this advertisements on jobs.world.edu