About this Opportunity
Now, more than ever, is a time of transformation in health care education. The COVID pandemic and the unfolding realities of health disparities and racial injustice have challenged health care systems and universities to seek a new normal. At the Ball State University College of Health, we are rising to that opportunity. We graduate health professionals who are clinically knowledgeable, committed to advancing inclusive excellence, and ready to collaborate on interprofessional teams. We invite applications and nominations for Department Chair of Speech Pathology and Audiology to join us in preparing today’s public health and health services workforce.
Ball State University and Our Pledge for the Future
Destination 2040: Our Flight Path establishes Ball State University’s ambitious goals for our second century:
* We pledge to provide a premier educational experience for every student.
* We pledge to partner with the community to improve the lives of our neighbors.
* We are dedicated to having a lifelong presence in the lives of our alumni.
And when we complement these promises with our commitment to our enduring values, we define that which makes our University and its culture distinctive.
Our faculty are collegial, collaborative, innovative, inclusive, and adaptive, both within and beyond one’s home unit. These attributes include commitments to collaborative discourse, interdisciplinary inquiry, and enterprising learning practices.
Our faculty are expected to be innovative, adaptive, engaging teachers across modalities; producers of impactful creative and/or scholarly work; leaders in meaningful service activities to multiple communities. We seek faculty members who are strategic thinkers, engaging our dynamic communities. We are committed to student and faculty success, impact, and access, within an environment that prioritizes inclusive excellence. We inspire each other to be critical thinkers and responsible citizens, so that we can pursue fulfilling careers and meaningful lives.
Ball State University lives the values of Beneficence. We invite you to be part of our community.
Ball State University is located in Muncie, Indiana, on an attractive campus 45 miles northeast of Indianapolis. Approximately 22,000 graduate and undergraduate students enroll in one of eight academic colleges that offer 120 undergraduate programs. We offer more than 140 master’s, doctoral, certificate, and specialist degrees, with many of them ranking among the best in the nation. We engage students in educational, research, and creative endeavors that empower our graduates to have fulfilling careers and meaningful lives enriched by lifelong learning and service, while we enhance the economic, environmental, and social vitality of our community, our state, and our world.
Inclusive Excellence Statement
At Ball State University, inclusiveness and freedom of expression are a part of our enduring values and inform all of our efforts. We encourage applicants to familiarize themselves with our Inclusive Excellence Plan to learn more about our commitment and to identify how you might contribute to these efforts.
Benefits and Community: Ball State University offers an excellent benefits package for eligible positions. Click here to explore options.
Tuition Remission (For eligible employees, their dependents, and spouse)
Paid Parental Leave
To learn about other faculty opportunities at Ball State University, please visit the following link
Ball State Faculty Opportunities
Live Near Your Work – If you are considering living near the Ball State area, please visit the following link to learn more about relocation and living in east central Indiana
There’s more to discover IN Indiana! Visit the following link to learn more
Appointment Type: Other
The College of Health at Ball State University seek a dynamic individual who will work collaboratively and congenially serving in a professional role as Chairperson of the Department of Speech Pathology and Audiology.
The successful candidate will:
* provide administrative and faculty leadership for the Department and its reporting units
* teach courses in general and expertise-specific areas of the discipline as negotiated with the Dean
* motivate faculty toward strategic goals
* demonstrate commitment to inclusive excellence
* advance student enrollment growth with attention to increasing diversity and retention
* conduct research and publish in areas of specialization
* provide example of engagement through academic, professional, and public service
* manage course scheduling and faculty assignments
* monitor budget oversight and stewardship of departmental resources
* oversee fundraising and development
* maintain community partnerships, and
* effectively represent the Department and its faculty to the college and university.
The successful candidate will be appointed at the tenured rank of Associate or Full Professor and will serve during the fiscal year as a Professional Continuing Contract employee. The position candidate is expected to work on campus in Muncie to allow full engagement with students, department, college, and university colleagues, and the community.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assure that administrative duties associated with the Department are carried out in a timely manner. These include class scheduling, making teaching assignments, overseeing the budget, preparing required forms and reports, etc.
- Convey the policies of the Administration to the Department, seeking clarification as necessary.
- Interpret the needs and concerns of the Department and its personnel to the Dean.
- Assist faculty and staff in reaching their maximum potential.
- Oversee the use of the resources of the Department to ensure that these resources are used in accordance with University policies, and as effectively and efficiently as possible.
- Provide leadership in the areas of teaching, scholarly productivity, and service.
- Provide leadership and guidance in the formulation and implementation of personnel, curricular, academic, and budgetary planning policies.
- Seek solutions to the problems faced by the Department and its faculty.
- Assume leadership in making personnel decisions (hiring, promotion & tenure) that best further the quality and goals of the Department.
- Determine, in conjunction with the faculty and administration and taking into account trends in the discipline, the major directions and goals of the Department, and then provide leadership to move the Department in the desired directions and achieve the goals sought.
- Make sure that the Department and its programs meet existing and long-term student needs relative to both departmental majors and service areas to the extent that resources allow.
- Maintain communication with external constituent groups which are important to the enhancement of the academic programs.
- Serve as appeal officer for faculty/staff/student/client grievances.
- Coordinate the peer evaluation process in the Department.
- Develop in-service and continuing education programs for professionals in the field.
- Be responsible for maintenance and coordination of departmental resources.
- Coordinate public relations (e.g., speakers’ bureau, newspapers, radio & TV)
- Serve on the SLP and/or AUD Admissions Committee, as necessary.
- All duties listed in the College Chairs handbook under Chair Position Description.
- A research doctoral degree in Speech-Language Pathology or Audiology or other related discipline.
- Five years of tenure-line faculty teaching and research experience; significant record of scholarship and demonstrated excellence in teaching.
Authorization to work in the US
Employer will consider sponsorship.
- Three years of academic department, college or university administrative experience
- Experience as chairperson of an academic department or assistant/associate dean of a college
- Substantial record of research and publication in own area(s) of specialization.
Certificate of Clinical Competence (CCC-SLP or CCC-AUD) credential, as well as eligibility for Indiana licensure.
Requires successful completion of a background check and education verification.
Position Title(s) Supervised
Department of Speech Pathology & Audiology Faculty, Administrative Coordinator, and Clinic Services Secretary.
Ball State University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer that is strongly and actively committed to diversity within its community. Women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and protected veterans are strongly encouraged to apply. All qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race, color, ethnicity, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, age, disability, protected veteran status or any other legally protected status.
Department: Speech Path & Audiology:900050
The Department of Speech Pathology and Audiology strives to provide a unique, immersive, entrepreneurial, and progressive educational environment with faculty and staff devoted to fostering academic, clinical, and professional success to all graduates. The Department is an evolving clinical resource for the people of east central Indiana and is charged with providing the highest level of healthcare within our respective professions. The Department houses accredited undergraduate majors and minors in speech-language pathology and pre-audiology, master’s degrees in speech-language pathology, and doctoral degrees in audiology. Our programs currently serve 263 degree-seeking students and are supported by 22 faculty, including full time tenured, tenure track and nontenure track positions, as well as part-time adjunct faculty. Faculty and student mentees have access to laboratories to support research in the Interprofessional Community Clinics with space devoted to assessment, sample collection, processing, storage and analytics. Faculty facilitate interprofessional education with students from other degree programs.
Department Email or Phone Number
Posting Number: 202301056F
Number of Vacancies: 1
Desired Start Date: 07/01/2023
How to apply
Open Until Filled: Yes
Consideration Date: to ensure full consideration, applications must be received by the date indicated here. (Applications will continue to be accepted after the full consideration date, until a sufficient applicant pool has been achieved or the position is filled. The closing date is subject to change without notice to applicants.)
Information regarding transcripts
The option to upload transcripts is available. Original, official transcripts showing the highest related degree earned is required at the time of hire (even if obtained at BSU). Degree verification will be conducted.
Special Instructions Summary
In the Applicant Documents section of this application, please provide an inclusive excellence statement describing how you would contribute to the development of a diverse and inclusive learning community at Ball State University through your teaching, research, and/or service. Please include examples of your contributions when possible. Word limit 500.
Search Committee Chair Name and Contact Information
Glenn Stone, [email protected]