Glen Allen, VA
Requisition Number: DF636
What’s next for you is the first priority for us! With over 45 programs from associate to doctoral degrees, South University is a private institution dedicated to providing educational opportunities that spark the intellectual, social and professional development of a diverse student population.
Our 120-year story-past, present and future-is a history formed by the many individuals who have developed the education and spirit of community that have become our pledge to the students, faculty, staff, alumni and supporters of South University. Online and at our 8 locations and 2 learning sites, we take pride in our welcoming environment; one-on-one support and personalized attention that helps students define goals and identify the means to pursue them. Our small classes feature hands-on experiences that not only shape students’ skills and excellence in their chosen fields but also shape their characters through encouraging community involvement, volunteerism and the pursuit of life-long learning.
Visit www.southuniversity.edu today to learn more about what makes us stand apart as a place to Belong, Believe and Become, a place where you can make a difference in the lives of students eager to learn and grow.
South University, the right direction for a brighter future.
- Tuition Assistant Program
- Long/Short Term Disability
- Life Insurance
- Employee Assistance Program
- Generous Paid Time Off
- 12 Paid Holidays
*includes domestic partner coverage
This position is responsible for providing vision, leadership and strategic direction for student affairs at the assigned South University Campus and for ensuring the delivery of effective and quality service to students in the following areas: support services, student conduct, student life programs, alumni relations and community engagement. This is done through creating policies, programs and services that support the school’s mission, meet the needs of a diverse campus population, foster student development, career development, and promote student and alumni involvement in campus life. This position provides advice and counsel to campus leadership and other Executive Committee members regarding overall student morale and serves as the primary advocate for the assigned campus student body.
KEY JOB ELEMENTS:
- Collaborate with admissions, financial aid, academic support services, faculty, program directors, career services, academic leadership and campus leadership to develop strategies and programs designed to positively impact retention and increase student satisfaction.
- Supervise the Academic Counselors to ensure effective engagement among the “Graduation Team”, and student advisees receive timely and accurate course registration, regular and meaningful outreach, proactive intervention for at-risk students, and return to studies after break in enrollment.
- Create meaningful, relevant opportunities for alumni to engage with the campus community in order to foster loyalty, pride and philanthropy.
- Ensure South University is represented in the local and professional community by developing opportunities for students and staff to volunteer, participate in community events and serve on leadership boards
- Supervise and oversee student life.Assure that a variety of student life opportunities are offered to all students.
- Develop protocols and community based resources and student support services, including counseling, healthcare and personal needs. Appropriately communicate a comprehensive list of referral resources and intervention mechanisms/programs to appropriate faculty and staff.
- Manage support services for international students and students with disabilities. Coordinate compliance with Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act, ADA, institutional student grievance processes and procedures and regular training for staff and faculty.
- Provide first line contact for problem and complaint resolution.
- Serve as Title IX Investigator and Chief Conduct Officer for the University, including coordination and supervision of due process procedures as they relate to student behavior.
- Plan and implement all orientation programs for students; Coordinate and oversee graduation, pinning and other ceremonies.
- Create and coordinate department publications such as the Student Handbook and the Campus Crime Report, Drug Free Schools and Communities and other student consumer information documents. Ensure all publications comply with Regulatory and Business Practices Committee standards.
- Work collaboratively with Executive Committee and all other departments, on achieving university objectives for enrollment, retention, graduate job placement and growth, and with University Administration functional department head to accomplish Student Affairs goals and objectives.
- Other duties as assigned by supervisor.
- Five + years of increasingly more responsible experience in student affairs, enrollment management or campus operations
- Master’s degree in student personnel services or related degree required
- Knowledge of theories of student development, student engagement, student success and career development
- Knowledge of current practices in student affairs and higher education to include proper methods and resources for compliance such matters as substance abuse, disabilities covered under ADA, student disciplinary actions and Family Rights and Privacy Act.
- Minimum of three years of management or leadership in an institution of higher education
- Good general business knowledge and ability to effectively supervise and lead a staff of professionals.
The duties and characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.The term “qualified individual with a disability” means an individual with a disability who, with or without reasonable accommodation, can perform the essential functions of the position.While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to communicate professionally in person, over the telephone, through email and other electronic means, move about the office or school, handle various types of media and equipment, and visually or otherwise identify, observe and assess. The employee is occasionally required to lift up to 10 pounds unless otherwise specified in the job description.
How to apply
South University is an Equal Opportunity Employer and embraces diversity as a critical step in ensuring employee, student and graduate success. We are committed to building and developing a diverse environment where a variety of ideas, cultures and perspectives can thrive.