Requisition Number: 0GP3899177The mission of The University of Bridgeport is to promote academic excellence, personal responsibility, and commitment to service. Distinctive curricula in an international, culturally diverse supportive learning environment prepare graduates for life and leadership in an increasingly interconnected world.
Position Description Summary/Purpose:
The College of Science and Society is comprised of academic departments and degree programs in natural sciences, social sciences, humanities, and the arts as well as related professional programs.
The Dean of the College will serve as its chief academic and budgetary officer. They report directly to and is supervised by the Provost and serves at the pleasure of the President. They will work with the faculty to articulate a strategic plan and vision for the college defining its unique means of advancing the University’s mission.
The Dean is responsible for the overall work of the College, which houses departments in the natural, social, and behavioral sciences; programs of language study; the Honors program; and the general education sequence. In addition, the College houses the English Language Institute.
The Dean appoints department chairs and, in consultation with the faculty and approval of the Provost, appoints and supervises Directors or Chairs for the departments, programs, and/or divisions housed within the College.
Essential Job Functions/Primary Responsibilities:
- Supervising a faculty and staff
- Revising/updating a strategic plan for the College of Science and Society undergraduate and graduate curricula.
- Preparing a proposed operating budget for the College of Science and Society and monitoring all financial transactions relative to the College of Science and Society.
- In collaboration with the School’s Directors, as appropriate recommend to the Provost hiring, reappointment, rank, and promotion of College faculty and advising the Provost on termination recommendations of faculty.
- Representing the College of Science and Society on the Provost’s Council and other appropriate University committees and ensuring the full integration of the College of Science and Society within the University of Bridgeport.
- Assisting in developing all public relations and marketing materials relative to the College of Science and Society as well as cooperating with the Office of Admissions to establish and achieve enrollment goals.
- Providing leadership for the College of Science and Society for fund-raising and grant writing in conjunction with the University Advancement Group and the Office of Sponsored Research and the Institutional Grants Office, as well as representing the College of Science and Society at professional, public relations and fund raising events.
- Publishing (or continued creative accomplishments) in candidate’s discipline and encouraging the College of Science and Society faculty to publish (or continue creative accomplishments) in University, regional or professional publications and forums as is appropriate to their discipline.
- Supervising and supporting the Academic Division and academic support services offered within the College of Science and Society.
- Planning and leading faculty school meetings; ensure that Chairs and Directors meet with their faculty as appropriate.
- Collaborating with the other deans on shared programming, faculty, facilities and other relevant areas.
- Being available for other duties as assigned by the Provost or the President.
- Conducts all work in a safe manner and all work safety practices are followed.
- Performs similar or related work as required, directed or as situation dictates.
- Continues professional development and training; keeps current with trends.
- Assists other department staff as needed to promote a team effort.
Knowledge, Ability and Skill:
- Demonstrated commitment to developing and fostering best practices and policies to promote diversity, equity, and inclusion, and build an environment in which all members of the University community are treated with respect and dignity.
- Solid interpersonal communication skills and the ability to work on cross functional teams in both leadership and member roles;
- Strong presentation, writing and research skills;
- Proven ability to work in complex, collaborative environments;
- Self-motivated and an independent thinker who can meet deadlines, deal with conflicting priorities and have very strong interpersonal skills;
- Ability to solicit cooperation from persons and departments throughout the University;
- Ability to work with ethnically, culturally, and socially diverse students, staff, faculty, and other constituencies required.
Skills:Minimum Required Qualifications:
Education, Training and Experience:
- Earned Ph.D. or other discipline-appropriate terminal degree from a regionally accredited college or university
- Experience with faculty review and promotion processes
- Experience working with a broad range of natural science, social science, humanities, language, and arts programs
- Experience with professional accreditation
- Experience with academic budgeting
- Faculty position in a discipline housed within the College
Full-Time Employee Benefits:
- Medical Insurance
- Dental Insurance
- Vision Insurance
- Pet Insurance
- 401k employer match
- Employee & dependent life insurance
- Great tuition benefits for employee, spouse & dependents
- PTO program
- Flexible work schedules / work from home opportunities
(This job description does not constitute an employment agreement between The University of Bridgeport and employee. It is used as a guide for personnel actions and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer and requirements of the job change.)
How to apply
The University of Bridgeport is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer
If you apply for this position or indicate an interest advise the HR person you saw this advertisements on jobs.world.edu