Berklee College of Music invites nominations and applications for a full-time faculty position in the Voice Department. The ideal candidate will demonstrate significant professional accomplishment, knowledge, and skill in vocal performance across a wide variety of contemporary styles. They will be committed to excellence in teaching with a strong knowledge of vocal health and wellness. We expect faculty to participate in student recruitment activities, and they must enjoy working in a campus climate that promotes cultural diversity and multicultural understanding. This is a nine-month position with initial appointment to begin September 1st, 2021. Ranking and compensation is commensurate with professional experience, competencies, and qualifications.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Teach applied voice in both individual private lessons and group vocal ensembles/labs in a wide variety of contemporary styles
- Guide students in the development of efficient vocal technique – serving as a mentor and role model
- Serve on Department, Division, and/or College committeesas assigned
- Develop customized student strategies for maintaining vocal health and wellness, including physical and vocal warm-ups, and other targeted preventative measures
- Advise students
- May be asked to contribute curriculum development, course content, and review
- Involvement in auditions determining eligibility, juries, and final exams
- Contribute to Voice Department-sponsored special events
- Additional duties as assigned by the Department Chair(s)
- A minimum of 5-years effective applied voice teaching experience and curriculum development at the college level preferred
- A record of significant professional performing experience and/or recordings as a vocalist
- Active experience of performing and continuing professional development
- Expertise and/or comprehensive knowledge of a wide variety of contemporary musical styles
- Demonstrated success in teaching vocal pedagogy associated with contemporary musical styles
- Piano accompanying skills sufficient to support vocal instruction are required
- Demonstrated interest in voice science and contemporary vocal pedagogy
- Strong command of technology and PA systems to support teaching and learning
- Aptitude for embracing cultural diversity in individuals, teaching perspectives, and curriculum
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills to excel within a team-oriented departmental culture
- Masters of Music (or equivalent professional experience) preferred
Please submit the following materials in PDF or Word format, at https://www.berklee.edu/jobs. All materials should be uploaded to the Resume/Cover letter application section.
- Cover letter
- Curriculum Vitae
- One-page educational philosophy
- Phone and email contact information for three (3) references
- 2-3 video links showing the candidate in a teaching situation and/or in performance
How to apply
1) For full consideration, applications and supporting materials should be received by July 7, 2021.
2) Incomplete applications will not be considered.
3) The position will remain open until filled.
The above information on this position description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by individuals within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job. Requirements are subject to possible modification to reasonably accommodate qualified individuals with disabilities. This document does not create an employment contract, implied or otherwise, other than an “at will” employment relationship.
External and internal applicants, as well as position incumbents who become disabled as defined under the Americans With Disabilities Act, must be able to perform the essential job functions (as listed) either unaided or with the assistance of a reasonable accommodation to be determined by management on a case-by-case basis.
Incomplete applications will not be considered. The position will remain open for applications until filled.
Berklee is committed to increasing the diversity of the college community and the curriculum. Candidates who can contribute to that goal are encouraged to apply and to identify their strengths in this area.