Mars Hill, NC
Classification: Non-Tenure Track
Status: Full-time (10 month)
Mars Hill University, a private liberal arts institution located in the mountains of western North Carolina, is seeking applicants for the position of Instructor/Assistant Professor of Nursing. The department seeks a new faculty member with enthusiasm for and commitment to undergraduate nursing education. Highly qualified candidates may be considered for Assistant Professor Rank. Experience in fundamental nursing concepts and medical surgical nursing is required.
- Master’s degree in Nursing from an accredited institution, required
- Preparation in teaching and learning principles for adult education prior to or within the first three years of employment (NCBON Standard 21 NCAC 36.0318), required
- Minimum of two years full-time clinical employment as a registered nurse (NCBON Standard 21 NCAC 36.0318), required
- Clinical expertise relevant to teaching area
- Certification in area of specialty, preferred
- Teaching experience, preferred
- Hold an active unencumbered license or multistate licensure privilege to practice as a Registered Nurse in North Carolina (NCBON Standard 21 NCAC 36.0318), required
- BLS Certification, required
- Maintain current knowledge of nursing practice for the registered nurse and the licensed practical nurse (NCBON Standard 21 NCAC 36.0318)
- Serve as the lead person in classroom, clinical, and laboratory instruction
- Participate in simulation activities
- Participate in curriculum development, implementation, and evaluation
- Participate in student admission, progression, and graduation activities
- Participate in the academic advising, counseling, registration, and orientation of students
- Collaborate with other professionals in dealing with students needing special assistance
- Evaluate student performance of specified skills, theory, and principles
- Submit requests for supplies and equipment to the Administrative Assistant and Director
- Promote effective communication and working relationships with personnel of clinical agencies
- Participate in the orientation of new faculty as necessary
- Attend program and faculty meetings as scheduled
- Serve on appropriate JMSON program and MHU committees
- Complete professional development as designated by the University
- Perform other activities as designated by the Program Director and Division Dean
- Perform expectations of a faculty member as stated in the MHU Faculty Handbook and the JMSON Faculty Handbook
SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Develop an understanding and appreciation of the mission, history, current programs, services and goals of Mars Hill University
- Excellent interpersonal and customer service skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent organizational and time management skills
- Ability to manage multiple activities at the same time
- Ability to establish good rapport with students, faculty, and colleagues
- Ability to work effectively under pressure and with a minimum of supervision
- Demonstrate proficient computer skills
- Ability to monitor and assess performance of self, other individuals, and organizations in order to make improvements or take corrective action
Typical classroom, clinical, and/or laboratory environment; frequently lifting and carrying items up to 25 lbs.; frequently traveling between buildings on campus or to other campuses or clinical sites; frequently standing for extended periods in classroom, clinical, and/or laboratory settings; frequently twisting or bending at the waist or reaching overhead; frequently listening to and talking with students, faculty, and other staff members; frequently sitting at a desk or workstation using a computer display, keyboard, mouse, and telephone; frequently long hours The appointment will begin with the spring 2021 semester. Review of applications will begin immediately, and continue until a suitable applicant has been hired.
For more information concerning benefits offered to MHU employees, see the MHU Benefits Summary on the MHU website. Review of applicants will begin immediately. Position is open until filled. To apply, submit a letter naming the position, your resume and any other materials requested.
ADA Statement: In accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), MHU provides reasonable accommodation to qualified applicants and employees with disabilities unless the accommodation would impose an undue hardship on the organization or would change the essential functions of the job. Requests for reasonable accommodation should be directed to Human Resources (see below).MHU is committed to hiring faculty and staff who fully support MHU’s mission. Minorities and women are encouraged to apply.
MHU is committed to maintaining a safe and secure campus environment and protecting the university’s financial and physical assets. Therefore, Mars Hill University conducts background checks. Depending on the position applicants may also be required to consent to a credit check as part of the background check process. In accordance with federal law and U.S. Department of Agriculture policy, this institution is prohibited from discriminating on the basis of race color, national origin, age, disability, religion, sex, familial status, sexual orientation, and reprisal.
To file a complaint with Mars Hill University, contact: Jennie Matthews Office of Human Resources Box 6664Mars Hill University Mars Hill, NC 28754828 689-1197828 689-1256 [email protected]
To file a complaint of discrimination, write to: USDA, Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights Office of the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights1400 Independence Avenue, S.W., Stop 9410Washington DC 20250-9410Or call toll-free at (866) 632-9992 (English) or (800) 877-8339 (TDD) or (866) 377-8642(English Federal- relay) or (800) 845-6136(Spanish Federal-relay).USDA is an equal opportunity provider and employer.