The Lecturer in the Department of Chemistry will coordinate and deliver instruction in the general chemistry and the organic chemistry curriculum. In accordance with the University’s faculty workload policy, teaching responsibilities will include 30 credit/contact hours per academic year in chemistry lectures and labs (15 contact hours per semester) and service as an academic advisor. Optional opportunities for engagement include, but are not limited to, committee service, and participating in the life of the university.
Department: School of the Sciences: Chemistry
Masters degree in chemistry or related science with a strong record of experience in and commitment to teaching chemistry courses.
- Demonstrated teaching ability in chemistry.
- Ability to work effectively with students from diverse backgrounds and with various learning styles and preparation.
- Knowledge of and experience with inclusive teaching practices.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Effective interpersonal skills and demonstrated team-building ability.
- Excellent organizational, reasoning, and problem-solving skills.
- Commitment to integrity, excellence, learning, and community.
- Commitment to professional development.
- Proficiency in Microsoft applications, including PowerPoint, Word, Excel and Outlook is required.
- Experience working with Blackboard or a similar learning management platform.
- Familiarity with educational assessment practices.
- Ability to work evenings and weekends as needed.
Medium work: Exerting up to 50 pounds of force occasionally and/or a negligible amount of force constantly to move objects. Sitting, standing, walking, talking, hearing, keyboarding, and repetitive motions. Daily work with computers, monitors, copy machines and other office equipment is required. Close visual acuity. Subject to inside and outside environmental conditions. Science faculty work in science laboratories and will be exposed to chemicals, biologicals, chemical processes, magnetic field, and scientific equipment/instrumentation. Position requires additional hours for meetings and events, including occasional evenings and weekends.
- Teach chemistry courses and labs each semester, as assigned.
- Serve as Course Coordinator for courses, as assigned.
- Serve as an academic advisor to students in the department.
- Engage and participate in the assessment activities of the Department, School, and University.
- Attend all Faculty/Staff University, School and Department meetings.
- Engage and participate in the life and work of the department, School of the Sciences, and Stevenson University.
- Collegiality, as well as professional and ethical conduct, enhances teaching, learning and the general reputation of all persons in the academy. Therefore, all faculty members are expected to serve in a collegial fashion and in accordance with professional and ethical principles when dealing with other faculty members, students, administrators, and members of the public. Follow all faculty and program policies outlined by the School and the University.
- Engage in continuing professional development related to the field and pedagogical best practices.
Reports To: Associate Dean
Work Location: Owings Mills North
Position Category: Faculty
Open Until Filled: No
How to apply
To be considered for this position please visit our web site and apply on line at the following link: stevenson.peopleadmin.com
EOE/AA Employer of Minorities/Females/Veterans/Disability