Job Type: Faculty – Regular Full Time
Job Number: 4048988
Location: HPU Downtown Campus; Honolulu, HI
Hawaii Pacific University is designated as an Alaskan Native and Native Hawaiian (ANNH) Serving Institution by the US Department of Education. As such, we strive for accurate displays of the Hawaiian language in all our institutional materials. This includes the appropriate use of diacritical marks such as the okina and kahako. Unfortunately, at times external vendors and other third-party technology integrations do not support the use of these characters. Mahalo for your understanding.
Hawai’i Pacific University (HPU) is a private, non-profit institution of approximately 3,500 undergraduate and 800 graduate students. Founded in 1965, it is Hawai’i’s largest private university with its core campus in the heart of Honolulu’s business district.
Hawaii Pacific University, College of Health and Society is seeking a dynamic Lecturer teaching candidate to serve as the academic professional delivering in-person and online courses and providing service to, and, on behalf of the University. HPU’s Nursing Programs are accredited by Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE).
This is a nine-month temporary teaching position within a twelve-month calendar year, with possibility for annual renewal.
- Master of Science in Nursing (MSN), or equivalent nursing degree, from an accredited educational institution with at least two years post nursing practice experiences.
- Licensed or eligible for RN licensure.
- Demonstrated ability to teach in-person and online.
- Experience in effectively working with those of other cultures and backgrounds, including the commitment to building a culturally diverse educational environment.
- Licensed or eligible for APRN licensure.
- One-year of collegiate teaching experience on curriculum development, program evaluation and/or teaching methods in nursing education.
- Current board certification as an FNP, AGACNP, or PMHNP.
- Ability to teach in both undergraduate and graduate nursing programs.
- Experience in online teaching using a Learning Management System (LMS), such as Blackboard, Canvas, or Moodle.
- Demonstrated commitment to collaboration in a manner that promotes diversity and inclusion.
- Candidates must be legally authorized to work in the United States.
- Report to work obligations to support the department and may require work during HPU’s winter, if necessary.
- Must meet training and background check qualifications and comply with the Protection of Minors policy.
- Able to work all shifts, extended hours and classes scheduled during days, evenings, and weekends.
- Upon hire, candidate must have reliable transportation to all HPU worksites and other locations as required by the position.
- Able to teach classes at multiple locations on Oahu.
- Successful candidate will be able to work in an environment that utilize excellent time and stress management skills.
Key Responsibilities/Essential Functions:
- Teach one or more academic subjects in specific clinical areas within prescribed curriculum.
- Demonstrate a command of the discipline and skill in presenting it effectively in the context of an integrated education.
- Prepare and deliver course content to students, whether in the classroom, clinical laboratory, simulation modalities or online.
- Plan and develop classes and syllabi for courses that meet the goals of the program, establish appropriate student learning outcomes, and use engaging/collaborative educational activities throughout the semester.
- Maintain accurate and complete records on student participation and performance, using appropriate measures to evaluate student performance on the basis of established student learning outcomes.
- Provide timely feedback to students and assign/submit grades that are an accurate and fair evaluation of student work and in a timely manner.
- Post and maintain regular in-person/virtual office hours at times reasonably convenient to students. Serve as an advisor to students and provide informed advice.
- Actively participate as an effective member of the team by completing assigned academic duties, attending orientation programs/Faculty Assembly meetings, and serve on faculty and/or college committees.
- Participate in course, program and curriculum area coordination; curricular development and textbook selection; instructional workshops and activities within own curricular areas; policy and program review; or other learning assessments.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
This description is not designed to list all activities, duties or responsibilities which may be required for this job. Other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned at any time.
Hawai’i Pacific University is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to fostering a diverse, equitable environment in which faculty and staff can excel irrespective of race, color, national origin, sex, disability, age, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, marital status, or any other protected class covered by state and federal law. Hawai’i Pacific University encourages applications from veterans and individuals with disabilities. A pre-employment background investigation is performed on candidates selected for employment.
How to apply
To apply, visit
Apply for this Job