NOTE: This job listing has expired and may no longer be relevant!
Primary Purpose and Essential Functions:
The Conservatory of Music at the University of the Pacific invites applications for a part-time, non-tenure track position.
Non-tenure-track faculty members collaborate in fulfilling the University’s mission to provide a superior, student-centered learning experience integrating liberal arts and professional education and preparing individuals for lasting achievement and responsible leadership in their careers and communities.
Part-time faculty are appointed as needed by each unit and considered as less than full time annual appointment as specified by each unit. Part time is determined by the unit based on a comparison to year-long appointments. Time of service on a part-time appointment may not accrue to time for appointment with tenure. Appointments for full-time non-tenure-track faculty members may be issued as single-year or multi-year terms, and may be renewable.
- Provide instruction for a total of two to twenty (2-20) hours per week (depending on your course/contract).
- Design and conduct educational programs, supervision of student fieldwork, and courses of instruction in accordance with the policies of the University.
- Actively participate in the comprehensive planning or review of the development and quality improvement of the educational programs and courses of study, assist in the evaluation of the effectiveness of such programs and courses, and to make recommendations to the Deans and Provost concerning the educational mission, programs, and policies of the University.
- Recommend educational policies and degree requirements which effectively carry out the mission of the University.
- Advise students on academic progress, and recommend student candidates for earned degrees.
- Participate in the selection, evaluation, and advancement of faculty and academic administrators.
- Contribute to the advancement of knowledge through open inquiry, creative activity and research as appropriate.
- Participate in service as requested or required.
The faculty member may consider any matter in connection with the effectiveness and quality of the educational program or the professional welfare of the faculty, may make recommendations to the department chair, academic dean or provost concerning any policies, programs, or procedures which affect the educational program or faculty welfare.
Each school and college in the University may have a faculty of its own consisting of all members of the University faculty within the particular school or college and subject to the approval of the Provost, adopt by-laws and rules concerning its own organization, governance, and procedures.
Each faculty shall function under the Dean and Provost and be subjected to the policies of the University.
- An undergraduate degree or its equivalent in music therapy and one (1) year of clinical experience (or its equivalent in part-time work) required.
- For classroom teaching, a Masters degree or its equivalent in the field of specialization and promise of teaching success and of scholarly or artistic achievements; a candidate without a masters degree must have equivalent educational or professional experience in the appropriate area of instructional responsibility, and the recommendation for appointment must contain a statement of this equivalence.
While holding an appointment as a Lecturer no person shall be eligible for tenure, nor shall service in this appointment be counted toward meeting minimum time requirements for promotion and/or the probationary period for tenure. Each appointment as a Lecturer in the University will be for a specific period of time. A review of each such appointment will be conducted consistent with the University guidelines for faculty evaluation before a renewed appointment is proffered. The rank of Lecturer is not a tenure eligible appointment.
- College-level experience.
The physical demands described here are representative but not definitive of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Work Environment/Work Week/Travel:
Requires extended periods of sitting and standing, bending and stooping, and occasional walking. Work is primarily performed in a standard classroom environment or in the clinical field (e.g., schools, hospitals, or other health-related institutions). Work performed for a total of two to twenty (2-20) hours per week (depending on course/contract).
THIS POSTING IS NOT A GUARANTEE OF AN OPEN POSITION. Your application will be active for 90 days. Applications are accepted on a continuous basis and are reviewed by the hiring department as openings become available. To maintain your application within the system, you will need to re-apply.
Applicants must complete all applicable sections of the online application to be considered for a position. Candidates who are called for an interview must notify the Department of Human Resources in writing of any reasonable accommodation needed before the date of the interview.
Note: if a job-specific posting is created and you are interested in that specific position, please apply to that job posting. Submission of materials does not guarantee consideration for future employment in openings of this type since availability can be unpredictable and consideration competitive.
How to apply
To apply, visit
Apply for this Job