Director of Jazz Education
Recruitment #: F2207
Review Date: Immediate Review | Open until filled
Department: Music /Creative Arts / LAS
Annual Salary Rate: $40,000 – $45,000 [NTT Instructor] / $45,000 – $57,000 [NTT Assistant Professor] [CBA Article 16]
The Creative Arts Division at Western Oregon University invites applications for a full-time Non-Tenure Track Instructor/Assistant Professor in Jazz Education to join the Music Department Faculty for a one-year appointment, with the possibility of renewal.
The successful candidate will organize and direct a comprehensive university instrumental program that includes conducting jazz ensembles depending on focus area(s) including the Jazz Orchestra and Latin Jazz Ensembles. This faculty member will also teach classes commensurate with the candidate’s skills in support of program outcomes and undergraduate degree tracks. Instructional course rotations may include improvisation, jazz methods, instrumental pedagogy, jazz ensemble direction, individual applied lessons and other areas depending on the candidate’s experience and areas of expertise.
Women, members of the LGBTQIA+ community, individuals experiencing disability, and BIPOC people may be less likely to apply for jobs unless they meet every one of the preferred qualifications listed. We are most interested in finding the best fit for the job. We would encourage you to apply, even if you don’t meet every one of our qualifications listed.
Minimum Requirements: Master of Music (MM) required for appointment as Instructor; Doctorate preferred and required for rank of Assistant Professor; Demonstrated record of accomplishment as a musician. The successful candidate will:
● be a versatile musician able to contribute to the department’s innovative curriculum and provide support for repertoire covering diverse styles and genres;
● be an active performer in jazz, popular and traditional concert-music styles;
● be able to teach music students at all levels of improvisation and performance;
● have teaching and conducting experience at the high school and/or college level(s);
● have an aptitude for organizational effectiveness;
● provide support of music teacher preparation programs
● demonstrate a commitment to student success, recruitment, and diversity, equity, and inclusion;
● have a deep and comprehensive understanding of the field from historical, aesthetic and practical realms.
Other desirable attributes include the ability to create musical arrangements commensurate with ensemble skill levels, experience in Latin-Jazz arrangements, experience building jazz programs, and working with pep band/marching bands. All instrument focus area(s) are open for consideration.
Start Date: September 16, 2022
How to apply
Western Oregon University only considers visa support for Tenure Track employees placed in specialized positions that are continuing regular university appointments for multiple years.
- WOU Employment Application form available here – unclassified/faculty;
- Letter of interest that addresses each qualification of the position. Please include how your experience, education, and/or training might help us build a more inclusive, collaborative, and diverse community;
- Statement of Teaching Philosophy;
- Current curriculum vita;
- Diversity Statement: Review the Board Statement on Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, and Accessibility and respond to the following Diversity questions;
- Digital audio/video samples delivered via web links of two to three representative performances that provide evidence of musical excellence and diversity of styles of both solo playing and directing a jazz ensemble. Ensemble video samples may include rehearsals and/or performances;
- Names and full contact information for three professional references; three letters of recommendation may be requested at a later date;
- Unofficial copy of transcripts for highest degree.
A criminal background check will be completed as a condition of employment.
Employee COVID-19 Vaccine Requirement:
All WOU students and employees are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. All newly hired employees must meet the vaccination requirement or file an exemption prior to their first day of employment.
Western Oregon University offers an excellent benefits package for eligible employees which includes 95% premium paid healthcare, a generous retirement and vacation package, and reduced tuition rates for employee, spouse or dependent at any of the Oregon Public Universities. http://www.wou.edu/hr/benefits/
Equal Employment Opportunity:
Western Oregon University is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to diversity, equity and inclusion in the workplace. We celebrate our inclusive work environment and encourage people of all backgrounds and perspectives to apply. We embrace our differences, and know that our diverse team is a strength that drives our success.
Western Oregon University is committed to developing a barrier-free recruitment process and work environment. If you require any accommodations, please email us at [email protected] and we will work with you to meet your accessibility needs.
Contact Information: Questions regarding this position may be directed to Dr. James Reddan, Search Committee Chair, email: [email protected] or telephone: 503-838-8802
For questions regarding the application process or to submit your application documents, please contact Human Resources at 503-838-8552 or [email protected].