College Of Liberal Arts Faculty
Proposed Minimum Salary
Corpus Christi, Texas
The College of Liberal Arts at Texas A&M University-Corpus Christi (TAMUCC) invites applications from accomplished scholars for the position of Chair of the Department of Interdisciplinary Studies (DINS) at the rank Associate or full Professor with tenure on arrival pending approval from the Texas A&M System Board of Regents. Rank will be determined upon qualifications. The successful candidate will demonstrate enthusiastic leadership with an entrepreneurial vision, the capacity to support interdisciplinarity across a broad spectrum, a well-developed research agenda, a strong commitment to service at the program, department, college, and university levels, and to diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging, and the energy to mobilize Texas A&M Corpus Christi’s human and material resources. The candidate must be able to teach in in the classroom format on the TAMUCC campus and may be asked to teach using hybrid or online formats. The teaching load will be 1-1 with additional service and research expectations.
Applicants must possess a commitment to shared governance, undergraduate and graduate student success, enhancing inclusive diversity efforts, as well as a willingness to strengthen and expand links with the community and alumni.
The Department of Interdisciplinary Studies is a new academic unit in the College of Liberal Arts. The department is home to several programs that support returning adult students and undergraduate student success at Texas A&M University Corpus Christi. Each year, we engage over 2,000 new first-year students in our First-Year Learning Communities program (FYLCP). We offer several applied degrees through our Bachelor of Applied Arts and Sciences (BAAS) Program as well as the University Studies degree (UNVS). As a focal point for exchange and dialogue on historical and contemporary issues of culture, ethnicity, gender, and sexuality, the department offers minor programs in Latin-American Studies, Mexican American Studies, and Women, Gender, and Sexuality Studies.
- Applicants must hold a terminal degree in a discipline appropriate to DINS
- A record of achievement in scholarship appropriate for appointment with tenure at the rank of Associate or full Professor
- Demonstrated capacity for leadership
- Demonstrated commitment to interdisciplinarity
- An established publication record
- The ability to teach in the on-campus format
- Demonstrated commitment to excellence in teaching and student mentoring
- Experience and/or willingness to teach in the hybrid and/or online course format
- The ability to communicate effectively with an ethnically and culturally diverse campus community
- Administrative experiences suggesting a demonstrated ability to lead an academic department
- Entrepreneurial vision
- Proficiency in personnel management and program development
- Experience and/or willingness to collaborate with faculty, staff, students, and community partners
- A certificate that demonstrates having completed professional development in the utilization and/or best practices of online course design
- Experience with or willingness to deliver courses that incorporate collaborative assignments/projects, global learning, service learning, diversity issues and/or undergraduate research
How to apply
All required documentation must be submitted to be considered for the position.
A completed application will include:
1. A letter of interest addressing the qualifications listed, including a discussion of leadership philosophy and experience engaging with issues of interdisciplinarity, diversity, inclusion, and/or social justice.
2. A curriculum vitae,
3. A 2-3 page letter outlining a vision for the department, and
4. Three professional references, including name, address, title, telephone number, and email address-including a current or previous supervisor.
The job posting will remain open until a finalist has been selected.
All positions are security-sensitive. Applicants are subject to a criminal history investigation, and employment is contingent upon the institution’s verification of credentials and/or other information required by the institution’s procedures, including the completion of the criminal history check.
Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/Veterans/Disability Employer committed to diversity.