This position is responsible to the Dean of Arts, Sciences and Learning Support. Duties and responsibilities shall be, but not limited to, the following:
- Teach a combination of Transitional (Developmental) and college English courses each fall and spring semester (day, evening, and online) as enrollment requires;
- Achieve and maintain a high level of competency as a teacher of students, demonstrating growth in the knowledge of his/her particular subject matter field(s) and in the ability to direct the learning processes;
- Participate in college service through standing committees;
- Serve as an advisor to assigned students;
- Hold posted and approved office hours per week;
- Participate in in-service meetings/workshops, orientation, and commencement as scheduled;
- Maintain accurate student records;
- Participate in a process of continual personal and professional improvement;
- Actively participate in the general recruitment and retention of students for the institution;
- Participate in course, departmental, and institutional assessment as required;
- Assume other professional responsibilities associated with the position of Professor of English; 12) Actively participate in the institutional goals and objectives designed to support the mission of the college;
- Follow all policies and procedures of NMJC as published by the Faculty Handbook, college catalog, and current contract;
- Nothing contained herein shall limit the President in assigning the employee to various college activities for which he/she would be qualified in order to meet the needs of New Mexico Junior College.
A Master’s in English is required. All degrees must be from a regionally accredited institution. Experience teaching developmental English is preferred, as well as successful community college teaching experience. Strong preference will be given to candidates with experience in teaching ALP English or similar co-requisite model. Applicant must be committed to excellence in instruction and willing to work as a team with other, full-time divisional instructors and staff. NOTE: Computer proficiency is required.
Salary is based on the NMJC faculty salary schedule and is commensurate with education and experience for a nine-month position. This is a full-time nine-month position with an annually renewable contract. In addition to salary, benefits for this position include a private office, laptop, iPad, instructional technology, and travel for professional development. Overloads and teaching in the summer term is optional for additional compensation when available. Standard NMJC benefits apply.
How to apply
To apply, submit NMJC application form online at www.nmjc.edu (under Employment Opportunities) and attach the following: a letter of application (cover letter), resume, unofficial transcripts for all degrees listed on resume (official transcripts required prior to employment), three references with current addresses and phone numbers. The letter of interest should document your experience teaching, using ALP, use of instructional technology, and other relevant experience. All application materials must be received by the deadline in order for you to be considered for this position. Interviews will be conducted by a selection committee and will commence upon completed application from qualified candidates. Position starts Fall semester 2021.