Job Number: REQ_0000043230
JOB DESCRIPTION AND POSITION REQUIREMENTS:
We are searching for Vibrations and Acoustics Research Faculty to join our Structural Acoustics Department in the Fluid Dynamics and Acoustics Office at the Applied Research Laboratory (ARL) at Penn State University. ARL’s purpose is to research and develop innovative solutions to challenging scientific, engineering, and technology problems in support of the Navy, the Department of Defense (DoD), and the Intel Community (IC). In this position, you will support and conduct basic and applied research in various acoustic areas such as: flow-induced vibration, structural acoustics, dynamic characterization of structures and materials, fatigue analysis and testing, and advanced data analysis.
ARL is an authorized DoD SkillBridge partner and welcomes all transitioning military members to apply.
- Perform modeling and measurement research in the area of vibrations and acoustics for a wide range of possible applications, including marine vehicles, air vehicles, and renewable and non-renewable energy production
- Develop and implement signal processing and data analysis techniques
- Prepare for and conduct experiments at ARL and at various off-site government testing facilities using advanced instrumentation
- Identify and perform appropriate numerical and analytical modeling
Faculty rank will be commensurate with education level and experience. Minimum requirements include a Master’s degree (PhD preferred) in Mechanical Engineering, Aerospace Engineering, Engineering Science and Mechanics or a related discipline plus 5 years of related experience.
Additional responsibilities for higher level position includes:
- Write and submit proposals for funded research
- Cultivate relationships with existing and potential government and industry sponsors
- Document research activities in technical reports and peer reviewed publications
Required skills/experience areas include:
- Proficiency in programming within the MATLAB environment, Python, or in a compiled language such as C/C++ or FORTRAN
- Effective written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to work independently as well as in a team environment, and meet project schedule requirements is required
- Experience in one of the technical areas listed below:
- Computational and/or experimental acoustics
- Data acquisition systems and data acquisition system development
- Vibration measurements, modal analysis techniques, and data analysis
- Computational acoustics methods such as finite element, boundary element analysis or other computational methods development
Additional preferred background:
- Familiarity with government research programs and the proposal submission process
- Experience writing white papers
- Technical leadership experience
- Active government security clearance
Your working location will be hybrid on-site/work from home, located in State College, PA. Domestic and international travel will occasionally be required.
ARL at Penn State is an integral part of one of the leading research universities in the nation and serves as a University center of excellence in defense science, systems, and technologies with a focus in naval missions and related areas.
You will be subject to a government security investigation, and you must be a U.S. citizen to apply. Employment with the ARL will require successful completion of a pre-employment drug screen.
ARL is committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion; we believe this is central to our success as a Department of Defense designated University Affiliated Research Center (UARC). We are at our best when we draw on the talents of all parts of society, and our greatest accomplishments are achieved when diverse perspectives are part of our workforce.
FOR FURTHER INFORMATION on ARL, visit our web site at www.arl.psu.edu.
University Park, PA
Penn State is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer, and is committed to providing employment opportunities to all qualified applications without regards to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identify, national origin, disability or protected veteran status. If you are unable to use our online application process due to an impairment or disability, please contact 814-865-1473.
Pursuant to the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act and the Pennsylvania Act of 1988, Penn State publishes a combined Annual Security and Annual Fire Safety Report (ASR). The ASR includes crime statistics and institutional policies concerning campus security, such as those concerning alcohol and drug use, crime prevention, the reporting of crimes, sexual assault, and other matters. The ASR is available for review here.
How to apply
- CURRENT PENN STATE EMPLOYEE (faculty, staff, technical service, or student), please login to Workday to complete the internal application process. Please do not apply here, apply internally through Workday.
- CURRENT PENN STATE STUDENT (not employed previously at the university) and seeking employment with Penn State, please login to Workday to complete the student application process. Please do not apply here, apply internally through Workday.
- If you are NOT a current employee or student, please click “Apply” and complete the application process for external applicants.
If you apply for this position or indicate an interest advise the HR person you saw this advertisements on jobs.world.edu