School of Creative Arts and Letters: Department of Visual and Performing Arts
Location: St. Augustine, FL
The Department of Visual and Performing Arts at Flagler College invites applicants for a one-year appointment as a Visiting Assistant Professor of Graphic Design, starting in August 2022. This full-time faculty position will include teaching four courses per semester from the undergraduate graphic design program and related courses in the general education program. The ideal candidate will possess in-depth knowledge of graphic design theory with an understanding of emerging technologies.
The graphic design curriculum represents a contemporary balance of theory, traditional practice, and digital media such as front-end web strategy and development, interactive design principles, processes, and prototyping. Students receive real-world instruction from design professionals in studios equipped with Macintosh computers, the latest Adobe software, and color printing facilities.
Flagler College is a small, private liberal arts college located in St. Augustine, Florida. Involvement in departmental and college service and ongoing professional development are expected. Flagler College is an equal opportunity employer.
- Teach a 4/4 load of foundational and advanced courses in graphic design.
- Demonstrate a commitment to excellence in teaching and learning.
Research and Professional Practice
- Conduct research appropriate to the discipline.
- Network with professionals and organizations related to graphic design.
- Engage in professional activities and peer-reviewed awards and publications.
- Terminal degree in Graphic Design (MFA or Ph.D.) or a closely related field.
- A minimum of 5 years of recent professional work in Graphic Design.
- College-level teaching or other related instructional or educational presentation experience.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Strong understanding of graphic design theory and principles.
- Ability to effectively teach foundational and advanced graphic design courses.
- Demonstrate an ability and willingness to learn about the latest trends and stay current with evolving technologies to ensure current and relevant curricula.
- Strong understanding of Adobe CC software, including Illustrator, Photoshop, and InDesign.
How to apply
Flagler College is committed to diversity, inclusion and pursuit of a higher education with adherence to high ethical standards. It is the policy of Flagler College not to discriminate in admission, treatment, or access to, or employment in, its programs or activities on the basis of race, color, gender, religion, national origin, age, disability, marital status, familial status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other protected characteristic.