|Pay Range:||Commensurate with education and experience|
|Department:||Forest Resources and Environmental Conservation|
About Virginia Tech:
Virginia Tech is a public land-grant university, committed to teaching and learning, research, and outreach to the Commonwealth of Virginia, the nation, and the world. Building on its motto of Ut Prosim (that I may serve), Virginia Tech is dedicated to InclusiveVT-serving in the spirit of community, diversity, and excellence. We seek candidates who adopt and practice the Principles of Community, which are fundamental to our on-going efforts to increase access and inclusion, and to create a community that nurtures learning and growth for all of its members. Virginia Tech actively seeks a broad spectrum of candidates to join our community in preparing leaders for the world.
The Department of Forest Resources and Environmental Conservation (FREC) at Virginia Tech is seeking applicants for a 9-month, tenure-track research and teaching position in Forest Modeling and Analytics with an emphasis on both managed and unmanaged forest ecosystems. This position will focus on the integration of cutting-edge quantitative and computational tools into basic and applied forest science from local to regional scales.
- Teach undergraduate course(s) in information technology for natural resources, forest geospatial applications, environmental informatics, or forest analytics/modeling
- Teach at the graduate level in area of specialty
- Conduct innovative research that results in peer-reviewed publication in high quality journals
- Support graduate students and research programs with external grants and contracts
- Advise undergraduate students and supervise graduate students
- Participate in department and university service
- Foster diversity and an inclusive atmosphere in the curriculum and department
Ph.D. at time of appointment with emphasis on forest science applications of state-of-the-art modeling and analytics .
- International applications/experience, training and experience related to managed forests
- Expertise in geospatial analysis, computer programming and/or database management, strong background in and extensive prior use of high performance computing
- Demonstrated ability to integrate or demonstrated interest in integrating multicultural perspectives in teaching, scholarship and/or outreach
Must have a conviction check?
Anticipated hire date is August 10, 2017. Review of applications will begin on or about January 31, 2017, and continue until a suitable applicant is selected.
Requests for confidentiality will be respected.
For additional information about this position, please contact:
Dr. Val Thomas, Search Committee Chair
How to apply
Online application is required. Apply on-line at www.jobs.vt.edu, posting TR0160186. The following supporting documents are also required: (1) letter of interest, (2) curriculum vitae, (3) research and teaching statement (4) university transcripts*, and (5) names and contact information of three professional references.
*Official transcript for highest degree earned will be required prior to the start of employment.
Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Statement:
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, gender, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, genetic information, or veteran status; or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees, or applicants; or any other basis protected by law.
For inquiries regarding non-discrimination policies, contact the executive director for Equity and Access at 540-231-2010 or Virginia Tech, North End Center, Suite 2300 (0318), 300 Turner St. NW, Blacksburg, VA 24061.
Reasonable Accommodation Statement:
If you are an individual with a disability and desire accommodation please contact the hiring department.