Azusa Pacific University is a comprehensive, evangelical, Christian university located 26 miles northeast of Los Angeles, California. A leader in the Council for Christian Colleges & Universities, APU is committed to excellence in higher education. Offering over 80 bachelor’s, master’s and doctoral programs on campus, online, and at seven regional centers across Southern California, APU has been recognized as one of U.S.News & World Report’s Best Colleges for seven years running.
Position Title: Executive Director of Writing Programs
Position Tracking Number: F607
School/College: Vice Provost for Graduate Programs and Research
Department: Writing Programs
Location: Azusa Campus
The Executive Director of Writing Programs serves as a writing program administrator in a leadership role that oversees the development, management, and supervision of writing programs for undergraduate, graduate, and professional programs at APU. Duties include initiating faculty development programs to improve writing pedagogy, establishing and assessing writing outcomes across the curriculum, and serving on undergraduate and graduate committees to represent writing programs and teaching. The Executive Director will collaborate with other academic support services on campus. He/she will supervise the Writing Center Director, the First Year Writing Coordinator, and the writing program staff, and will manage the office budget.
* Ph.D. in Rhetoric and Composition or related field.
Level: Academic Administrator
* Understanding current theories and best practices in teaching, learning, and assessment of written communication.
* A demonstrated commitment to excellence in writing and writing instruction.
* Excellent record of teaching.
* Strong commitment to innovation, experimentation, and quality in education.
* Expertise in organizing faculty development opportunities.
* Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work collaboratively and effectively across disciplinary boundaries with faculty, students, and staff.
* Strong project planning and management skills.
* Awareness of and sensitivity to the educational goals of a multicultural population.
* Three or more years’ experience in writing program administration.
* Teaching experience in university writing courses.
* Full time, 12 months
* Ability to integrate Christian values in all aspects.
* Ability to engage in critical thinking and exercise independent judgment.
* Ability to maintain confidentiality and manage confidential information.
* Self starter, ability to communicate effectively in written and oral form.
* Ability to work under pressure, exuding a mature demeanor while multi-tasking in a deadline-oriented environment with accuracy and consistency.
* Ability to work independently and meet deadlines.
* Ability to exercise good judgment in determining when to act independently and when to consult management prior to taking action.
* In agreement with the purpose and goals of Azusa Pacific University in providing a Christian-based high education for its students.
* Ability to work collaboratively with a diverse group of colleagues.
Hire Date: Open until filled
At Azusa Pacific University we value and uphold God-honoring diversity. Diversity was not our idea, but God’s. Therefore, we aim for an environment that respects and honors each individual’s uniqueness while celebrating our collective commonalities. It is in this spirit that we continue important discourse on diversity, engage a variety of perspectives, and embrace active listening in a spirit of humility. We continue our efforts to recruit, hire, and support a diverse community in an effort to create a milieu that reflects the mosaic of God’s kingdom.
How to apply
Apply online. Review of applications will begin immediately, and the position will remain open until filled.
Azusa Pacific University does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, age, disability, or status as a veteran in any of its policies, practices, or procedures. Women and minorities are encouraged to apply.
Azusa Pacific University conducts background checks on all final candidates.