Review Date: 12/30/2018
Job Category: Faculty
Department: Agricultural Systems Technology & E
College/Unit: Colleg Of Agriculture & Applied Sci
Location: Logan Campus
Posting Duration: Open Until Filled
Utah State University (USU) invites applications for a lecturer in the Agricultural Communication program. This is an academic year, non-tenure track, teaching position in the School of Applied Sciences, Technology and Education beginning in August 2019. Opportunities for summer employment may exist based upon available funding from extramural projects and/or course demand. The successful candidate will join a growing agricultural communication program and is expected to collaborate closely with the Agricultural Communication faculty to strengthen and expand the program. The successful candidate will be responsible for the development and instruction of courses within the Agricultural Communication program. Areas of specialization might include: technical and professional communication, agricultural marketing, risk and crisis communication, communication campaigns in agriculture, and graphic/web design. In addition, the successful candidate will recruit and mentor undergraduate students and provide service to the department, college, university, and professional organizations. The role assignment for this position is 95% teaching and 5% service.
- Teaching responsibilities include: teaching approximately 12 credit hours of undergraduate and/or graduate courses per semester in agricultural communication or related areas with some of those courses providing technical communication instruction for students in the Agricultural Systems Technology and Agricultural Education degree programs.
- Co-advise the Utah State University chapter of the National Agricultural Communicators of Tomorrow;
- Supervise student internships.
- Assist in student recruitment and retention, alumni and industry relations, program marketing/public relations, and other program needs.
- Participate in the delivery of distance education courses.
- Service includes committee work in support of departmental, college, university, and professional society activities.
Dept/College Highlights:School of Applied Sciences, Technology & Education http://aste.usu.edu
The School of Applied Sciences, Technology & Education provides instruction to students seeking a certificate, associate, baccalaureate, or graduate degree. These innovative degree programs allow students to gain expertise in the fields of agricultural communication, agricultural systems, applied sciences, aviation, business, career and technical education, machinery and technology.
Utah State University www.usu.edu/about
Utah State University is situated in Logan, Utah, a family-friendly community of 100,000. Logan is a semi-rural city in the beautiful alpine mountain valley, Cache Valley. Ski resorts, lakes, rivers, and mountains in the area make it one of the finest outdoor recreation environments in the nation. Hiking trails wander up the Logan Canyon beside the Logan River and lead to 10,000-foot peaks on either side of Cache Valley. Salt Lake City is 85 miles south; Park City ski areas are two hours away; Jackson, WY, and the Grand Tetons are four hours away. In 2018 USU was ranked by Washington Monthly as one of the top 30 national Universities and the 5th best public national university in the nation.
Utah State University is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer, sensitive to the needs of dual-career applicants. The University is dedicated to recruiting stellar candidates from a diverse pool including women, minorities, veterans and people with disabilities. USU offers competitive salaries and outstanding medical, retirement and professional benefits
- Earned Master’s degree at time of employment, with a degree in agricultural communication or closely related field.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Effective interpersonal skills and ability to work effectively with faculty, students, and industry representatives.
- Ability to teach agricultural communication courses and computer technology courses using Adobe Creative Cloud software.
- Ability to work with students and student organizations.
- Minimum of three years’ professional agricultural communication, news media, broadcasting, or public relations experience.
- Experience in teaching, advising and mentoring students.
- Excellent computer/technology skills, including distance education.
- Ability to work collaboratively with multi-disciplinary groups.
Opportunity Type: Full-Time w/benefits packagePercent of Time or Hours per Week: 100%
Advertised Salary: Commensurate with experience, plus excellent benefits
Often Functional Requirements (25-75% time):
Both hands required or compensated by the use of acceptable prostheses
Continuous Environmental Factors (75%+ time):
ADA Cognitive Requirements:
Apply principles of logical or scientific thinking to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. Interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions, in books, manuals, and mathematical or diagrammatic form. Deal with several abstract and concrete variables.
ADA Math Requirements:
Perform ordinary arithmetic, algebraic, and geometric procedures in standard, practical applications.
ADA Communication Requirements – Speech:
Expression of a level to communicate fluently with clients/customers and others to obtain and provide complex information. Vocalize and explain detailed and problem-solve, both in-person and by telephone. Capable of interpretation of technical materials, oral presentation of reports and able to adapt vocabulary, tone and content for listener.
ADA Comm Requirements – Comprehension:
Comprehension and expression of a level to routinely draft narrative information such as case histories, compose routine correspondence on own initiative, make interview notes. May involved a large volume of such composition.
ADA Travel Requirements:
Minimal travel required – ability to travel infrequently (i.e., annually) for activities such as developmental sessions at a centralized training center.
How to apply
Required Documents (The names and contact information of 3 references will be collected during the application process):
Cover Letter, Resume/CV, Teaching Philosophy, Transcript