Posting Number: F2018-040
Department: School of Theatre
This is a full-time, nine-month, or semester faculty appointment depending on the circumstances. Responsible for contributing significantly to Stephen F. Austin State University’s undergraduate and/or graduate programs through teaching, scholarship/creative accomplishment and service. Works under minimal supervision, with extensive latitude for the use of initiative and independent judgment. Reports to the Chair.
Essential Job Functions:
1. Performs an equivalent of eight teaching units of work during the regular academic year; reduction of teaching load through reassignment of duties is possible under certain circumstances.
2. Engages in research/scholarly/creative and service activities at levels that are appropriate to faculty rank and departmental tenure/merit criteria.
3. Provides services to the university and the profession.
4. May conduct supplemental instructional activities such as independent studies, internships, advising, and thesis/dissertation supervision.
Non-Essential Job Functions:
1. May receive course-load reassignment when assigned administrative duties in support of the department/college/university.
2. May receive course-load reassignment when assigned to prepare course material during the first semester/year when included as part of initial contract.
3. May receive course-load reassignment when approved to engage in research or scholarly/creative activities and service that exceed normal expectations.
4. May supervise the work of student and/or graduate assistants.
5. May serve on departmental, college and university committees.
6. Performs other related duties as assigned.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
The individual must possess the following knowledge, skills, and abilities or be able to explain and demonstrate that the individual can perform the essential functions of the job, with or without reasonable accommodation.
1. Extensive knowledge in the field in which the individual will be teaching.
2. Skill in effectively teaching undergraduate and/or graduate students.
3. Skill in conducting distinguished research and/or scholarly/creative accomplishments and service.
4. Ability to conduct research and/or commitment to production of scholarly/creative accomplishments and service.
5. Ability to work within a collaborative faculty environment.
6. Ability to communicate effectively in both oral and written form.
7. Ability to work effectively and patiently with students.
Terminal degree in the field in which the individual will be teaching is required.
Required Experience and Training:
The rank of professor is held by an individual who has a sustained record of research/scholarly/creative accomplishments, effective teaching, and service to the academic and general communities and whose contributions to the profession or field are substantial and are recognized beyond the campus. The individual must demonstrate excellence in all appropriate categories: teaching, research and/or scholarly/creative accomplishments and service. The visiting professor should have attained the rank of full professor at another institution.
How to apply
Please do not upload transcripts, letters of recommendation or other materials at this time. These will be required only of specific applicants later in the process.