Department of Management
College of Business and Economics
The Department of Management at California State University, Fullerton, invites applications for an Assistant/Associate Professor tenure-track position in Family Business with appointment to begin Fall 2023.
California State University, Fullerton (CSUF) is a minority-serving institution and an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer. CSUF is strongly commitment to increasing the diversity of the campus community and the curriculum, and to fostering an inclusive environment within which students, staff, administrators, and faculty thrive. Candidates who can contribute to this goal through their teaching, research, advising, and other activities are encouraged to identify their strengths and experiences in this area. Individuals advancing the University’s strategic diversity goals and those from groups whose underrepresentation in the American professoriate has been severe and longstanding are particularly encouraged to apply.
The person in this position will serve as Academic Director of the Center for Family Business in a tenure track faculty role. CSUF faculty are committed teacher/scholars who bring research and creative discovery to life for students in classrooms, labs, studios, and individually mentored projects. They teach broadly in the curricula of their departments, advise students, and serve on departmental and university-wide committees. The primary responsibilities of the person in this position will be supporting the Center and its academic programs, while concurrently teaching of introductory and core courses in the discipline, and the development of courses in their area(s) of specialization. Specific courses that this person may teach include a course in family business among other courses depending on the candidate’s areas of expertise. This person will also be responsible for producing high quality peer-reviewed journal articles commensurate with the requirements for tenure. The successful candidate will also be expected to contribute to and participate in the life and development of the department, advise students, serve on committees, and participate in the broader university and disciplinary communities. This faculty position will include the Rick Muth Family Chair. This endowed chair includes a stipend and professional development support.
- Prior to the Fall 2023 semester, candidates should complete all requirements for a Ph.D. in Management or a related field from an accredited institution.
- Demonstrated teaching and research interest/experience in Family Business
- Demonstrated commitment to and excellence in teaching
- Demonstrated a strong record of scholarly accomplishments appropriate to the level of appointment
- Demonstrated ability to balance excellent teaching, scholarship, and service
- Demonstrated potential for effective integration of technology into instruction
- Ability and commitment to work effectively as a Center Director with a wide and culturally diverse range of students, staff, and faculty
- Prior industry experience in related areas
- Proven research productivity in family-business field
- Some experience with academic leadership
To be assured full consideration, all application materials must be received by February 18, 2023. Subsequent applications will be considered on a rolling basis. Position will remain open until filled.
The Department of Management
The Department of Management is the largest and most research productive group of management faculty in the entire CSU system. We have 27 tenured and tenure-track faculty, several full-time lecturers and over 50 part-time faculty. Tenure-track faculty members publish quality research in peer reviewed academic journals relevant to their fields of expertise. The department houses four centers of excellence that engage faculty and students with the business community – Center for Entertainment and Hospitality Management, The Center for Entrepreneurship, The Center for Family Business, and The Center for Leadership. Our faculty are frequently recognized by the College and University for their teaching, research and service excellence.
College of Business and Economics
The College of Business and Economics (CBE) leads business education on the West Coast. CBE is accredited by The Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB) at both the undergraduate and master’s levels, is among the five largest business colleges in the U.S., and the largest in the Western U.S. CBE houses 14 Centers of Excellence- four of which are affiliated with the Department of Management. With about 250 full-time equivalent faculty and about 9,400 students (including about 600 graduate students), CBE offers Bachelors’ degrees in Business Administration with concentrations in Accounting, Economics, Entrepreneurship, Entertainment & Tourism, Finance, Operations & Supply Chain Management, General Management, Human Resources Management, Information Systems/Decision Sciences, Marketing, and International Business. CBE offers MBA degrees in a variety of concentrations, an MA degree in Economics, and MS degrees in Taxation, Accountancy, Information Systems, Information Technology, and Financial Engineering. CBE also offers a graduate certificate in HRM with plans to offer an MS degree in HRM. For more information about the College visit: http://business.fullerton.edu/.
The Assistant Professor (Academic Year) classification salary range is $5,405 to $11,994 per month (12 monthly payments per academic year). Anticipated hiring range is $9,855 to $10,061 per month. Salary is commensurate with experience and qualifications, and is subject to budgetary authorization and any California State University System faculty contract increases. Summer research grants, moving expenses, start-up funds, and a reduced teaching load may be available. An excellent comprehensive benefits package is available that includes: health/vision/dental plans; spouse, domestic partner and dependent fee-waiver; access to campus child-care; and a defined-benefit retirement through the state system along with optional tax sheltering opportunities. For a detailed description of benefits, please visit https://hr.fullerton.edu/total-wellness/.
The person holding this position is considered a mandated reporter’ under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
A background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate can be formally offered a position with the CSU. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect application status of applicants or continued employment of current CSU employees who apply for the position.
Reasonable accommodations will be provided for qualified applicants with disabilities who self-disclose.
CSU requires faculty, staff, and students who are accessing campus facilities to be immunized against COVID-19 or declare a medical or religious exemption from doing so. Any candidates advanced in a currently open search process should be prepared to comply with this requirement. The systemwide policy can be found at https://apptrkr.com/get_redirect.php?id=3814373&targetURL=
CSU requires faculty, staff, and students who are accessing campus facilities to be immunized against COVID-19 or declare a medical or religious exemption from doing so. Any candidates advanced in a currently open search process should be prepared to comply with this requirement. The systemwide policy can be found at https://calstate.policystat.com/policy/9779821/latest/ and questions may be sent to [email protected].
In accordance with the California State University (CSU) Out-of-State Employment Policy, the CSU is a state entity whose business operations reside within the State of California and requires hiring employees to perform CSU-related work within the State of California.
California State University Fullerton celebrates all forms of diversity and is deeply committed to fostering an inclusive environment within which students, staff, administrators and faculty thrive. Individuals interested in advancing the University’s strategic diversity goals are strongly encouraged to apply. Reasonable accommodations will be provided for qualified applicants with disabilities who self-disclose.
How to apply
A complete on-line application must be received by electronic submission to be considered. To apply, please visit http://hr.fullerton.edu/careers/Faculty.php, choose full-time faculty, search for position #523662, and provide the following required materials:
- Cover letter in which you respond to the required qualifications
- Curriculum vitae
- Graduate transcripts (unofficial copies are acceptable)
- Exemplary publications, if applicable (in a single PDF file)
- Teaching statement
- Candidate statement on commitment to inclusive excellence
- This statement provides the candidate’s unique perspective on their past and present contributions to and future aspirations for promoting diversity, inclusion, and social justice in their professional careers. The purpose of this statement is to help the department identify candidates who have professional experience, intellectual commitments, and/or willingness to engage in activities that could help CSUF contribute to its mission in these areas. More information can be found at https://hr.fullerton.edu/diep/.
- A list of three references with relevant contact information
- On the references page of the online application, enter information for three referents who will provide a confidential letter of reference for your application. They will receive a request via email along with information on uploading the letter at the appropriate step in the search process. Candidates can verify that each letter has been received by CSUF by logging back in to the recruitment system.
Finalists will be asked to have each of their three referents submit a letter of recommendation. Please have these ready for the referents to submit should you move forward to this phase of the search.
Please direct all questions about the position to: Jay Barbuto at [email protected] or call the Center for Leadership at 657-278-5170.
- A list of three references with relevant contact information