Posting Number: 20110434
Overview: Juniata College’s English for Academic Purposes (EAP) program is seeking applications for two English as a Second Language adjunct instructors to start in the fall of 2021. The successful candidate will teach two 3-credit intermediate or advanced level courses to international exchange and degree students in reading, writing, or grammar. The pay rate will be $1,000 per credit.
Juniata College, founded in 1876, is a highly ranked, national liberal arts college of 1600 students located in the scenic Allegheny Mountains of central Pennsylvania. The EAP aims to work towards the overall mission of Juniata College, which is, “to provide an engaging, personalized educational experience empowering students to develop the skills, knowledge and values that lead to a fulfilling life of service and ethical leadership in the global community.”
Primary Duties & Responsibilities:
* Prepare, develop and teach two course offerings, including one office hour/week for each course.
* Submit course syllabi to the registrar
* Practice creativity, fun, and active problem solving in the classroom within the range of your responsibilities and desired student learning outcomes.
* Engage students when necessary to develop an understanding of higher education learning expectations with respect to coursework, study skills and communication.
* Provide frequent and various forms of feedback to students throughout the semester including, in-class and out-of-class activities, and completing mid-semester student reports.
* Monitor student academic achievement and personal behavior, and refer students in a timely manner to the EAP coordinator who can connect them with additional resources including EAP Tutors, the Writing Center, Student Accessibility Services.
* Calculate and maintain course grades using Juniata’s Moodle learning platform
* Participate in occasional peer observations
* Attend monthly EAP department meetings, or as needed
* Complete end-of semester course assessment
* As desired, participate in campus professional development activities
The EAP is administratively housed within the Center for International Education. Academically, the program is associated with the Department of World Languages and Culture. Both units coordinate to develop the mission, curriculum and outcomes of the EAP. Instructors interact and report to the EAP Program Coordinator. Depending on course size, and complexity, instructors may incorporate a Teaching Assistant and would have a supervisory role over this position.
Juniata College believes in and embraces the liberal arts and as such, we encourage and seek mutual benefit through diversity of thought and approach which enriches our academic community, as well as the lives of our students and colleagues. Juniata College is committed to creating a welcoming community supported by relationships based on collaboration and mutual respect. We endeavor to create an inclusive learning environment where members with different perspectives and backgrounds can learn, contribute, and thrive. Please join us…
Qualifications: The EAP is seeking individuals with native or near-native fluency with the following minimum qualifications
- MA in TESOL, Applied Linguistics, or related field
- ESL teaching experience at the college/university level
- Experience integrating technology into classroom instruction
- Ability to work collaboratively as a member of an instructional team
This position is supervised by the EAP Program Coordinator.
Experience living and working abroad
Proficiency in a language other than English
Special Instructions to Applicants
To promote and sustain the health and safety of our campus community, Juniata College has adopted a Covid-19 vaccine mandate for all Faculty, staff and students. Exemptions to this mandate will be considered for bona fide medical, and religious reasons. Weekly testing will be required for the unvaccinated. Those granted exceptions for reasons other than approved medical or religious exemption will be assessed a monthly testing fee.