POSITION CODE: 4724
DEPARTMENT: Information Technology Services
APPOINTMENT: Administrative, full-time, remote or on campus, 12 mo/40 hrs
STARTING SALARY: Commensurate with experience
INTRODUCTORY PERIOD: 12 months
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Open until filled
Description: Reporting to the Director, Instructional Technology Services, the Instructional Designer will be responsible for providing support for online education initiatives. Develop program plans and design and build courses with faculty subject matter experts. This position will coordinate with faculty members, project managers, instructional technologists and academic leaders to create and develop online, hybrid and hyflex courses and programs. The role provides technology coordination and support for online educational initiatives across the university.
Responsibilities include but, are not limited to:
- Support online, hybrid and face to face course and program development initiatives with various campus constituents, including the faculty, staff, and deans in the schools and college.
- Collaborate with and support faculty with novice, intermediate and advanced skill sets to improve student learning using instructional design principles.
- Apply instructional design principles (critical pedagogy and critical race pedagogy) during the creation and maintenance of online courses.
- Provide recommendations to faculty for sequencing instruction, use of materials and assessments, and implementation of multimedia elements.
- Conduct one-on-one and small group consultations on the improvement of teaching and learning environments through the use of various E-learning technologies.
- Assist in the assessment of teaching and learning challenges and provide tools, resources, and training to the faculty that will help address these challenges.
- Prepare and design course materials and templates for online courses.
- Provide ongoing instructional design and technical expertise in the development of web-based project and online learning opportunities.
- Support the design and development of curricula that utilize a variety of technology enhanced learning modalities.
- Utilize project management tactics to move projects to completion and accomplish stated goals.
- Stay current with emerging trends and technologies in instructional design and fields related to higher education, including the Quality Matters framework.
- Work closely with other ITS staff to ensure the success of projects and alignment with university supported technologies.
- Perform other duties and projects as assigned or requested.
- A bachelor’s degree, master’s degree preferred, in Curriculum and/or Instructional Design, Educational Technology or related field.
- Minimum 5 years’ experience with learning environments, research and/or training, curriculum and instructional design, preferably at the university level or equivalent combination in lieu of education.
- Incumbent will be expected to continue upgrading knowledge, skills, and abilities needed to keep abreast of regulation and policy changes.
- Extensive knowledge and experience promoting effective use of learning management systems and Web 2.0 technologies in higher education.
- Technical skills requirements include a working knowledge of web and media design concepts.
- Demonstrated working knowledge of media delivery formats including streaming video and animation, and their integration into a learning management system. Experience in content authoring tools, software development, and graphic or usability design.
- Experience working with mobile devices and applications in teaching preferred.
- Exemplary communication skills.
- Strong skills in building and maintaining stable working relationships with faculty and staff.
- Strong skills in facilitation, training, teaching, negotiation, and consulting within an academic environment.
- Ability to work and communicate effectively with ITS staff and develop and maintain effective working relationships.
- Ability to multi-task and work as an effective member of a team.
- Highly developed organizational skills.
- General knowledge of hardware, network, computer lab configuration, and other basic information technology services.
- Must be able to work independently, prioritize work, and independently manage multiple and competing priorities while meeting deadlines.
- Must be able to competently interact with a culturally and ethnically diverse population of students, faculty, staff, and constituencies.
In compliance with The Americans with Disabilities Act if selected for the interview process and accommodations are needed please call 909/748-8040
How to apply
To apply: Submit a University of Redlands application form at https://www.redlands.edu/employment/instructional-designer/.
FOR MORE INFORMATION, CALL 909-748-8040 OR VISIT http://www.redlands.edu/human-resources/employment/. SUBMISSION OF A RESUME OR APPLICATION INDICATES AGREEMENT THAT THE UNIVERSITY MAY VERIFY ANY AND ALL INFORMATION CONTAINED THEREIN.MEMBERS OF UNDERREPRESENTED GROUPS ARE ENCOURAGED TO APPLY.AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER