Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey, is seeking instructors for The Osher Lifelong Learning Institute. A program specifically for adults over 50 looking for an opportunity to learn in an engaging environment, OLLI-RU is a unique learning community situated within the Division of Continuing Studies. The non-credit courses range from academic subjects to skills and activities. We encourage a variety of teaching formats, including facilitated discussions of books, films or ideas; informational lectures, hands-on instruction; and field trips. Instructors may teach in one or more of the following areas (but not limited to):
- Art History
- Computer Science
- Contemporary Issues
- Environmental Science
- Film Studies
- Music History
- Political Science
- Science – Biology, Physiology, Astronomy etc.
The position will be responsible for course creation and content delivery during any of the prescheduled programs that run throughout the year. Courses typically meet in person for 90 minutes once a week throughout New Jersey, however, they will meet remotely via Zoom and in- person as it becomes safe to do so according to public health and University leaders. Courses typically meet in person or on Zoom for 90 minutes once a week throughout New Jersey.” Prescheduled program may be as long as one-day to ten-weeks.
Position Status: Part Time
Hours Per Week: up to 19.5
This position requires a fully on-site work arrangement.
Position Salary: $35.00 per hour
Payroll Designation: PeopleSoft
Terms of Appointment: Temporary Staff Appointment – Hourly
Minimum Education and Experience
- A Bachelor’s degree in a related field, or an equivalent combination of education and/or experience.
- Up to two years relevant experience in an administrative function, good communication and interpersonal skills, and computer literacy.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Experience instructing hiring unit’s relevant program content.
- Knowledge of classroom management, adult learning, and effective communication/facilitation techniques.
- While training in the Zoom platform, including best practices, will be provided, general computer proficiency is required.
Physical Demands and Work Environment
- Must be willing to travel since classes are offered throughout New Jersey.
- Multiple positions available
- Will travel throughout New Jersey
- Success in this position will be measured through attendance, course evaluations, and class member engagement.
Posting Close Date: 08/22/2023
Regional Campus: Rutgers University-New Brunswick
Home Location Campus: Cook (RU-New Brunswick)