NOTE: This job listing has expired and may no longer be relevant!
Metro State University, a member of the Minnesota State Colleges and Universities system, and five (5) time recipient of the Insight into Diversity Higher Education Excellence in Diversity (HEED) Award is seeking to hire a Vice President for Human Resources and Employee Experience.This is a full-time position, reporting to the university President. The Vice President of Human Resources and Employee Experience is a transformational Human Resources senior professional who will lead Metro State University in creating a Human Resources team that enables the university’s aspiration to be an employer of choice in higher education. This senior leader will bring a lens of equity, inclusion, and anti-racism to all aspects of their work, focusing on building and maintaining a welcoming and inclusive culture that supports, engages, values, and develops our university employees.
The vice president works closely with the president, colleague vice presidents, deans and directors, faculty, staff, students and the Minnesota State Colleges and Universities Vice Chancellors to support a high performing workforce focused on the success of all students. They will form an especially strong and collaborative partnership with the Vice President for Equity and Inclusion to help achieve the vision of building an anti-racist and inclusive university and a workforce that mirrors the diversity of our students.
The Vice President for Human Resources and Employee Experience serves as a member of the President’s Executive Council and President’s Cabinet and is a key advisor to the president on matters involving employee engagement, organizational culture, well-being of employees, and healthy bargaining unit relationships.
The Vice President will:
- provide strategic university and human resource leadership by:
- cultivating talent and the employee experience with a focus on attracting and retaining employees with a passion for the mission of Metro State.
- supporting our goal to be an effective and efficient organization through a continuous improvement practice that seeks high value process improvement.
- analyzing problems and partnering with managers and supervisors to develop creative solutions to complex human resource issues.
- supporting managers and supervisors across the institution in performance assessment, development of employees’ talents, and management of employees.
- Working with the VP for Equity and Inclusion to measure campus climate and organizational engagement, as directed by the president, and using the data to guide our improvement efforts.
- building and developing a creative, agile, and service oriented team of human resource professionals.
2. lead the university’s effort to create a positive employee experience by
- partnering with the president and other campus leaders to advance initiatives and lead change to create an inclusive and equitable work environment.
- partnering with the VP of Equity and Inclusion to develop a culturally competent, inclusive, and anti-racist workforce to support the needs and aspirations of our students.
- demonstrating strong interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to work effectively with a wide range of diverse constituencies.
- demonstrating a practice of working appropriately with sensitive information and issues and understand and avoid conflict of interests between the role of the HR leader and campus operations and activities.
3. be responsible for
- preparing for and participating in Labor Relations Meet and Confer or Labor-Management meetings with the President and Cabinet members, including agenda development and follow up.
- assisting the Executive Vice President and Provost in working effectively with our Faculty Association on personnel and contract matters.
- formulating and recommending human resource policies and procedures to advance the mission, vision, and strategic goals of the university.
- effective budget preparation and fiscal management.
4. act as the liaison, in partnership with the University’s president, between the Minnesota State Vice Chancellors and labor relations staff, other state and local government agencies, and other external organizations as directed by the President on matters concerning human resources and employee relations.Minimum Qualifications:
- Master’s degree in human resources, labor relations, psychology, higher education administration, or related field.
- At least 7 years of professional experience in human resources, with 5 years’ experience supervising and leading a team.
Submitted written materials will contain concrete examples of candidate’s record of demonstrating the following leadership competencies:
- Communicates effectively by presenting ideas and proposals clearly and concisely, while also listening carefully to understand differing points of view.
- Builds trust by demonstrating respect, creating transparency, keeping commitments, and actively working to restore trust when necessary.
- Collaborates effectively by working authentically and openly with colleagues inside and external to the organization. Exhibits a spirit of true partnership that benefits all parties engaged in the project.
- Builds organizational capacity to meet future challenges by identifying and removing barriers to innovation, collaborating across divisional, institutional and system boundaries.
- Is a champion and advocate for equity, inclusion and anti-racism by interrogating policies, procedures, and ideas to interrupt systemic racism, demonstrating inclusivity in work processes and teams, encouraging and promoting the diversification of staff to mirror the diversity of our students, and in actively seeking out and inviting alternative viewpoints in planning, discussions and decision making.
- J.D. or Doctoral degree in related human or social science field.
- Professional HR certification (SHRM-SCP, SPHR)
- Mediation and/or conflict resolution training
- HR leadership experience in higher education, non-profit, or government organization
- Knowledge and experience related to federal and state laws, regulations, and policies as related to higher education (i.e.: Affirmative Action, Title IX, ADA, Respectful Workplace, etc.)
- Experience with bargaining and contract administration and in supporting managers across the institution in contract administration.
- Ability to identify and address problems with confidentiality, diplomacy, and integrity.
The University: Metropolitan State University provides an excellent, inclusive, and engaging education to eliminate opportunity gaps and lead our communities to a prosperous and equitable future. Metropolitan State University is a five-time recipient of the Insight into Diversity Higher Education Excellence in Diversity (HEED) Award, most recently in 2021. Federally recognized as a Minority Serving Institution, we serve more than 9,000 post-traditional learners, two-thirds of whom identify as belonging to communities of color or American Indian nations, are first in their family to attend college, and/or are eligible for Pell Grants. Since we do not operate residential facilities, Metropolitan State University students all commute to class locations across the Minneapolis-St. Paul metro area. Metropolitan State is recognized by CollegeNet as a leading higher education promoter of social mobility for students (Ranked #22 out of 1414 colleges and universities in 2022). We offer programs leading to baccalaureate, masters and doctoral degrees. We provide accessible, high quality liberal arts, professional and graduate education with continued emphasis on marginalized groups, including adult learners. Recognized in 2008 and 2014 by the Carnegie Foundation for Community Engagement and named to the President’s Higher Education Community Service Honor Roll, the university is committed to academic excellence and community engagement through curriculum, teaching scholarship and services designed to support an urban mission. As a member of Minnesota State Colleges and Universities system, Metropolitan State University is actively working to achieve the Equity 2030 goal of the system, with a strategic direction to close student success disparities among student groups that focus on academic programs, policies and procedures, and effective student support.
The University’s 2020-2024 strategic plan core theme is ”Building a Resilient, Student Ready University.”
Candidates can view the University’s Equity, Inclusion and Anti-Racism Plan 2022-2025.
Visit the Metro State University website to learn more about us, our programs, and our students. Learn more about Minnesota State Colleges and Universities at their website.
For campus safety information and crime statistics visit: https://www.metrostate.edu/students/support/safety
Salary: This Administrator position is assigned to a Range 11, as outlined in the Minnesota State Colleges and Universities Personnel Plan for Administrators and is commensurate with education and experience.
How to apply
To apply, go to https://metrostate.peopleadmin.com
*To comply with privacy and data practices requirements, please refrain from including personal information or photographs in your application materials.
This position will remain open until filled. Applications received by 11:59 p.m. on July 9, 2023 will receive preferred consideration.
Qualified applicants are required to attach the following documents to their online application:
- Detailed cover letter of interest addressing your qualifications for the position.
- Current curriculum vita or resume.
- Names of four (4) references with addresses, email addresses and telephone numbers.
- Valid unofficial copies of your transcript showing conferred/awarded date, your name and the academic institution’s name/logo are required. If selected for hire, official original transcripts will be required.
If you have other questions related to this job announcement, please contact Human Resources at 651.793.1275 or email at [email protected].
For TTY, call Minnesota Relay Service at 7-1-1 or 1-800-627-3529.
Notice: In accordance with the Minnesota State Vehicle Fleet Safety Program, employees driving on university business who use a rental or state vehicle shall be required to conform to Minnesota State’s vehicle use criteria and consent to a motor vehicle records check.
Metro State University is an Equal Opportunity employer/educator committed to the principles of diversity. We prohibit discrimination against qualified individuals based on their race, sex, color, creed, religion, age, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, marital status, status with regard to public assistance, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, or membership in a local commission as defined by law. As an affirmative action employer, we actively seek and encourage applications from women, minorities, persons with disabilities, and individuals with protected veteran status.
The University provides reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities upon request.
If you apply for this position or indicate an interest advise the HR person you saw this advertisements on jobs.world.edu